What do you take off the tee here

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
13.jpg

For the purpose of this thread you must assume that your run of the mill distance with driver will land you in the water

You can make it over with a sweet drive only, you can even play up to the red tee box area although this is at least 1st cut rough

Its a 520 yard par 5 and you stroke on this hole, what's the strategy options off the tee for good course management?

Obviously go for it with driver or lay up with iron, what other things are worth considering?

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would smash a driver as there is no real lay up area. I would then moan and greet if I was in the water and say who's idea was it to play from the tips :)

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd lay up around the Reds with an iron and hope I get a good lie. If it sits up nicely you've still got a good chance of a GIR. Slight mishit driver you'll end up in a similar place as the iron lay-up but with a one stroke penalty, knackering your chances of a GIR.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
If you can't be sure to hit it over the water, you probably won't be able to reach the fairway, either. With your driver.

If you can't reach the fairway with your average drive, there's only one sensible option: tee it forward.

Just out of curiosity: What tees are you playing and how are the carry distances over the water/to the fairway?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing the appropriate tee I would aim right centre of the fairway with my tee shot.

Forced to play off a tee with a carry exceeding 230 it looks like the best option is a 6 iron chip down the cart path to the right - if it rolls 240 to the end you look like being in perfect position...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you can't be sure to hit it over the water, you probably won't be able to reach the fairway, either. With your driver.

If you can't reach the fairway with your average drive, there's only one sensible option: tee it forward.

Just out of curiosity: What tees are you playing and how are the carry distances over the water/to the fairway?

how far is it to carry the water and how far is it to the water from the tee?

Don't have the distance to hand but for the thread it doesn't matter the tee box or distance in yards ;) your average drive with the big club is wet, only nailing it will get you over

I'm playing this again on Sunday and have used both lay-up option and going for it option with mixed results for both. I just wanted to sanity check if I'm missing something

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would depend very much on how it looked in real life which you cant always see from the planner.
How accurate do you have to be with a lay up and what are the lies like?
If I could get in trouble with my lay up I might be tempted to put a ball in the water where it looks from the dog leg that unless you hit it very crooked your drop behind will give you a decent shot which a lay up might not and you may just make the carry anyway.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't have the distance to hand but for the thread it doesn't matter the tee box or distance in yards ;) your average drive with the big club is wet, only nailing it will get you over

I'm playing this again on Sunday and have used both lay-up option and going for it option with mixed results for both. I just wanted to sanity check if I'm missing something

I think that's basically your two options - go for it or try to lay up somewhere you might get a decent lie.

What hole is it? The reason I ask is that I have a similar situation coming up on Saturday - a carry over water that I know a good drive will clear but anything else will end up wet. I'll be deciding whether to go for it based on two things - wind conditions and how well I feel I've hit my driver on the preceding holes. I'll have hit driver four or five times by then so will hopefully have an idea if I'm on it or not...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on how good you are with a driver. For me I would lay up, no question. If I can only clear the water with a 100% drive then those odds are not good enough for my golf. If driving is your strong point then the odds are better.

Don't have an ego on a hole like this at that is usually a good way of being 3 off the tee, think your way around it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Would depend very much on how it looked in real life which you cant always see from the planner.
How accurate do you have to be with a lay up and what are the lies like?
If I could get in trouble with my lay up I might be tempted to put a ball in the water where it looks from the dog leg that unless you hit it very crooked your drop behind will give you a decent shot which a lay up might not and you may just make the carry anyway.

I think that's basically your two options - go for it or try to lay up somewhere you might get a decent lie.

What hole is it? The reason I ask is that I have a similar situation coming up on Saturday - a carry over water that I know a good drive will clear but anything else will end up wet. I'll be deciding whether to go for it based on two things - wind conditions and how well I feel I've hit my driver on the preceding holes. I'll have hit driver four or five times by then so will hopefully have an idea if I'm on it or not...

thanks for these, I'll have to bring them to mind when on the tee

As its the 13th hole I'll have some chance to gauge previous shots/wind etc on the day but, it may be a shotgun start so fingers crossed its not this hole to start

Whats not obvious on the pic is that making it over puts my ball into a 20ft high bank so 2nd will be uphill lie at best

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest you may as well have a crack with the driver.... if you go in the water you're only 1 shot worse off than if you'd played tactically for the lay up.