What difference does an insert make?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi forum,I have owned more putters than any other type of club,but I have never really understood the difference an insert makes.I have used soft feeling putters with no insert,and hard feeling putters with one,what do you think the difference is? Cheers!

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Deke.

I've only had two putters in the four years I've been playing. Started with an Odyssey Sabertooth which has an elastomer insert. I found shorter putts relatively easy to pace, but on slower greens it was really hard to judge pace and distance. Last winter, for example, I felt like I was really hammering putts, but everything came up short. I switched to my current Mizuno Line 90 Krakatoa in February. It's a very similar shape to the Sabertooth, but has a milled face and I find this much easier to judge pace and distance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Very much sound/feel/in the head to me.

Played with no insert, copper, gold plated copper, different steel, AGSI, Surylin and others too numerous to remember. As long as the sound/feel/weight is 'balanced', then I'm happy with whatever the designer provides. Not happy when a mallet feels too soft or a blade feels too springy.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Deke.

I've only had two putters in the four years I've been playing. Started with an Odyssey Sabertooth which has an elastomer insert. I found shorter putts relatively easy to pace, but on slower greens it was really hard to judge pace and distance. Last winter, for example, I felt like I was really hammering putts, but everything came up short. I switched to my current Mizuno Line 90 Krakatoa in February. It's a very similar shape to the Sabertooth, but has a milled face and I find this much easier to judge pace and distance.

Very interesting Del,I have the opposite experience! I used to use an Odyssey Black no 2 milled putter that I was dead accurate with suffered with distance control but when I changed to the i series no 1 with the insert I was still accurate but had better distance control!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much sound/feel/in the head to me.

Played with no insert, copper, gold plated copper, different steel, AGSI, Surylin and others too numerous to remember. As long as the sound/feel/weight is 'balanced', then I'm happy with whatever the designer provides. Not happy when a mallet feels too soft or a blade feels too springy.

Thanks for the input mate,I am inclined to agree it is not the face but the putter!

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always struggled with inserts (odyssey white ice1, sabretooth, marksman, TM Rossa Daytona) and always come back to my connemara. I've been trying with the Yes Sandy with a degree of success but finding the weight difficult to adapt to. Perseverance me thinks

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always struggled with inserts (odyssey white ice1, sabretooth, marksman, TM Rossa Daytona) and always come back to my connemara. I've been trying with the Yes Sandy with a degree of success but finding the weight difficult to adapt to. Perseverance me thinks

Glad to hear it mate,I have found success with both types of putter.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't like inserts, I like a milled face. Inserts just feel dead to me.

Yes. I gave away one of my Odysseys on the 14th hole of a serious regional game. It was either into someone else's bag or the lake.

Milled or plain, chocolate or vanilla. No banana squashed raspberry smoothie flavour for me. Yuk.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes. I gave away one of my Odysseys on the 14th hole of a serious regional game. It was either into someone else's bag or the lake.

Milled or plain, chocolate or vanilla. No banana squashed raspberry smoothie flavour for me. Yuk.

I used to have the same opinion until I tried my Odyssey Black i series,I have never holed more putts with anything else!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've used one for a long time, find it hard to use a putter without one; I like the feel and roll I get. Another benefit I found was if I played foursomes or greensomes I didn't mind worrying about what ball I was putting with.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say that I get a bit more "feel" with my Scotty compared to my Odyssey Rossie (which has quite a firm insert). However when I first got the Odyssey many moons ago I definately felt I was getting a really good roll and that it was more consistent than the non-insert putters (e.g. Ping Anser) I had been using before, especially on fast greens.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say that I get a bit more "feel" with my Scotty compared to my Odyssey Rossie (which has quite a firm insert). However when I first got the Odyssey many moons ago I definately felt I was getting a really good roll and that it was more consistent than the non-insert putters (e.g. Ping Anser) I had been using before, especially on fast greens.

I wonder how much the shaft affects feel? I have had great feeling putters both with and without inserts!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An insert gives you something else to blame when the putts don't drop.....

Don't forget that the ball plays a huge part too...

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
In 9 years of playing golf I have had 4 putters. This is very topical because I purchased new putter just last week. I am totally impressed with my new Odyssey Metal X no.9. For me it is about the sound and the weight. I went in with an open mind and tried everything in the shop and actually envisaged buying a blade so I was really surprised to walk out with a half mallet - it just felt right. Defo' one of the most important clubs in the bag. Drive for show, putt for dough :)

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Couldn't stand inserts - used milled faces for many a year. Currently using WH XG#7 soft insert - works great - any type of putt feels like it's going close, you know when you have miss hit and how. All in all the noise is different but not a lot else. You can use cheaper balls too!
How much can a ball hit at that pace compress anyway??