What defines a Golf Shoe?

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With all these new street shoes available, I find the definition of a golf shoe is being called into question. I always thought it was a "SHOE" not trainer with spikes on the bottom. But they are increasingly becoming "TRAINERS" with a tread and no spikes. Can anyone tell me the difference between the three pairs shown below? As most of you will know 2 pairs are Golf Shoes whilst the other pair are sports shoes aka Trainers.

adidas-adicross-street-golf-shoes1.jpg adidas-la-trainer-x-undefeated_.jpgecco.jpg

editted to correct title, timely reminder for all to proof read what you type ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re: What defines a Gold Shoe?

I think that for me the golf manufacturers/brands and ultimately the tour pros are defining it, i fully expect some clubs to bring out a clarification of what is a golf shoe in their dress codes in the foreseeable future but at the moment if its made for golf by a golfing brand then its a golf shoe in my book

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Think of a shoe... Now think of a trainer... Each will have a different imagined look yes?
I wear shoes to work, I wear trainers to go running.
Shoes for me are smarter, leather, more rigid and combined with tailored trousers exude a well presented individual.
Trainers (or that look like trainers) just don't look right with trousers, I mean would you wear a pair of Nike Air Max (other brands available) with a pair of slacks? This may be why they look silly (as another thread was alluding to).
So this then opens the can of worms on what dress codes should be in order to match.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Trainers is a wide genre, afterall you wouldn't normally buy running trainers if you wanted tennis trainers (& the dozens of other bespoke sports with their diff requirements from the footwear)

Is it suitable as Golfing footwear? (as required by the activity) is really the only question, whether its shoe or trainer style

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Is it suitable as Golfing footwear? (as required by the activity) is really the only question, whether its shoe or trainer style

My club states that you must wear proper Golfing Attire (including Golf Shoes). I have some trainers that look very similar to Adicross, but the tread is alot like that on the Ecco shoes. What's to say I can't wear them and claim that they are golf shoes?

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

My club states that you must wear proper Golfing Attire (including Golf Shoes). I have some trainers that look very similar to Adicross, but the tread is alot like that on the Ecco shoes. What's to say I can't wear them and claim that they are golf shoes?

If the shoe (trainer) fits......

That's my point, if the footwear is suitable for the activity & doesn't damage the course then why not?
I assume your club list the makes/models of shoes they find acceptable? (or at least defines the parameters of footwear they deem to be golfing attire)

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A shoe you play golf in ? no matter the colour or look if it designed to play golf in then it is a golf shoe.

So because the trainers that I have are not sold as golf shoes, they are not defined as such? Even though the sole is the same makeup as the Ecco shoe?

D

Deleted member 1147

If my club pro told me that a pair of Ecco golf shoes, as in the picture in the OP, were not golf shoes my reaction would be:

go onto the internet, go onto the Ecco website, type in "golf shoes" and show him a picture of that golf shoe.

I would therefore expect to be allowed to wear them on the course, because our club rules state that we must wear "golf shoes".

IF I was wearing a pair of trainers with similar tread they wouldn't be under "golf shoes" and therefore would not be golf shoes.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes.A durable covering for the human foot, made of leather or similar material with a rigid sole and heel, usually extending no higher than the ankle

Do trainers traditionally have a rigid sole? My shoes are rigid, my trainers are very flexible and soft soled.
Not saying anyone is right or wrong here just IMO trainers of any sort on the course should not be allowed for aesthetic purposes.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Let me ask you (yes/no) are your trainers golf shoes ?
I don't know hence my original question. I would say that these new street shoes are Trainers and not golf shoes. Take for example the classic Adidas Samba, they have now put some studs on them and are selling them as golf shoes. Surely they are simply studded trainers and not shoes in the golfing sense by any stretch of the imagination?

Last edited: