What clubs do I need on a par 3 course with 9 holes.

Enrico

Visit site
My biggest hit with a driver is 180 yards.

I am a beginner.

Ive attached the photos of the course overview if that helps.

Thank you in advance everyone

Attachments

• IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 25

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do not bother with the driver. Yellows ? Assume you will miss the longest green (and others) with whatever you take so the emphasis is on what short clubs you take - as a beginner do not bother with a 60 degree wedge and learn to hit something less lofted say 52/54 around the greens (the overhead shows no bunkers).
If you have a rescue/hybrid around 20deg take that and then a half set of irons either all the evens or all the odds having a 2 club difference takes out the indecision eg a hole is either a 7 or 9.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hi Enrico, Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the first few holes you have an ideal opportunity to find out your yardages. Hit what you think is the right club for the first hole, 162 off the yellows. If you’re pin high, take 2 clubs less on the second hole. If you’re hitting a driver 180, a reasonable guide would be 8yds between clubs.

It’ll take you a few rounds to work it out, and as a beginner you’ll probably find that your yardages for each club will increase with practice.

Good luck.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
First question should be what clubs do you have available. Next one...what is the longest iron you hit consistently and well. And, if you know, how far do you hit that club.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whenever I play our par 3 course I drop the driver , 6 iron , 3 and 4 hyrbid

I keep the rest.. carry the 5 hybrid just incase of wind on the longest hole

Doesn't hurt carrying more than needed the first time until your used to it

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To the OP, based on tee yardages I'd suggest something like a 7 iron, a pitching wedge and a putter is all you need. For those yardages you can pretty much play every shot required and would probably build a good repetoire of skills.

Don't expect to hit the green off every tee, play strategically with 3 clubs and it's a lot of fun. It's pretty much how I play my par-3 course with my daughter (Except on mine there is a par 4 so I carry a driver too)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
To the OP, based on tee yardages I'd suggest something like a 7 iron, a pitching wedge and a putter is all you need. For those yardages you can pretty much play every shot required and would probably build a good repetoire of skills.

Don't expect to hit the green off every tee, play strategically with 3 clubs and it's a lot of fun. It's pretty much how I play my par-3 course with my daughter (Except on mine there is a par 4 so I carry a driver too)
Has she taken the win yet?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

This is the correct answer.

A 7 iron, a club with around 50° of loft and a putter is all you need on that course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To the OP, based on tee yardages I'd suggest something like a 7 iron, a pitching wedge and a putter is all you need.
This is the correct answer.

A 7 iron, a club with around 50° of loft and a putter is all you need on that course.

Just how far do you think a beginner hits a 7 iron? Particularly when they say their driver distance 180 yards

As an experienced (but somewhat older player) my 7 iron is 130 yards.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has she taken the win yet?

Easily. I gave her two shots a hole and she won the match on the 7th. :D
Just how far do you think a beginner hits a 7 iron? Particularly when they say their driver distance 180 yards

5 of the 9 greens are easily in range then. The rest are just a 7 iron, up and down par. ;)

But between 140-150 yards for a 7 iron should be the aim as a beginner.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It doesn’t matter how far they hit a 7 iron. As a beginner a 7 iron is the longest club they need to learn how to make a decent connection. Anything longer with less loft is just hard work.

Using 3 clubs as a beginner is about learning to hit the ball and play shots. Assuming they play the yellow tees. With a 7 iron (even if it only goes 130) they can hit full shots and be on most of the greens with a decent strike. A 7 iron won’t go as wide with a poor strike as a club with less loft.

Any more than 3 clubs round such a short course just adds confusion to shot selection.