What Causes the Ball to Go Straight Left off the Tee

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I missed the chance of a massive cut at the weekend because of poor tee shots on 2 par 3s. On both holes I was playing a 6 iron off the tee and both shots went considerably left of the green. There was no shape to the shot and the contact was good but the ball went off on a path about 20 yards left of where I was aiming.

It is something that I will try and sort out with BobMac when I have time for another lesson but with the weekend approaching I was just interested if there were any suggestions as to what may be causing this wayward shot. The rest of my irons were fine all day and I hit far more greens than I normally do so these 2 shots were the cause of some confusion.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
NO EXPERT but i find this happens when i go too hard at a shot , hit one club more & swing bit easier .. just personal experience tho .. coincidently it happens me most with 6 iron aswell .. have been told right hand gets too strong & it causes this ..

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Assuming you are right handed this is a PULL in the same camp as a slice except club face is square at impact facing left

I have found that looking up too soon often introduces this as the shoulders are forced open and you have swung along a line pointing left of target.

You can see this with all clubs even the putter

Swinging too fast out of sync doesn't help either

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Get a similar problem from time to time, usually trying to hit a driver too hard, gripping it too tight and too much right hand dominance.
I know the problem and I know the cure, which is lighten the grip and stop trying to land the ball on the moon. Easier said than done sometimes.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said above (Post #4) it happens to me when I start my downswing correctly with my hips, but then don't resist with my shoulders.

In short, everything turns together.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Closed face with an out to in swing? Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert!:D

Had a lesson the other day and on video I clearly had this type of swing, I'd either slice right or pull left, the pulls to the left were all bang straight, no ball movement at all.
He showed me a drill to get the club going straight on impact rather than pulling around. He also had to adjust my swing, left hip kind of out forward a bit at the start of backswing (before the left hip would go back slightly) and really getting my arms tighter to the body as I come back down.
I'm nonly a beginner but the way the pro described how I was hitting these shots made perfect sense.