What bounce?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've decided to move from a PW-54-60 wedge setup to a PW-52-58 setup so will be on the hunt for new wedges shortly (Ping Tour S is current favourite). I think and hope the 52-58 will suit me better and help bridge a gap to my 45' PW. I'm not keen on having too many wedges as I think one could become redundant and I'll become easily confused with too may options.

So, in terms of bounce, does a 52/12 and 58/10 sound like a reasonable setup? There are no fluffy bunkers on our course, but are a couple of deep green side bunkers.

Any opinions/advice will be great fully received.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've decided to move from a PW-54-60 wedge setup to a PW-52-58 setup so will be on the hunt for new wedges shortly (Ping Tour S is current favourite). I think and hope the 52-58 will suit me better and help bridge a gap to my 45' PW. I'm not keen on having too many wedges as I think one could become redundant and I'll become easily confused with too may options.

So, in terms of bounce, does a 52/12 and 58/10 sound like a reasonable setup? There are no fluffy bunkers on our course, but are a couple of deep green side bunkers.

Any opinions/advice will be great fully received.

Digger or slider? and are said wedges going to have a grind on them?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your stated choice would work in all situations. They are pretty standard bounce. If you got them with a C grind you'd have the best of both worlds.

I run mine with 12* of bounce but mine all have the C grind.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking for advice here. Care to elaborate? The outgoing wedges were 14 & 12 in terms of bounce.

Would you recommend at 52 with less bounce?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not an easy question to answer. It depends on the type of sand, ground conditions and how you play your shots.

In this case I would suggest you had a chat with your club Pro.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm looking for advice here. Care to elaborate? The outgoing wedges were 14 & 12 in terms of bounce.

Would you recommend at 52 with less bounce?

with your explanation of the bunkers on your course, 58/10 sounds a good choice. If you find yourself wanting more bounce you can open the face to 60 degrees and the effective bounce will also increase - try it on the carpet and see.

when looking at the GW 52 you might consider minimal bounce simply to give you a club to give confidence from bare lies, or, for example, where you want a little more confidence it won't bounce (playing from a divot is an example, or any tight lie around the green). That's not to say that's the only way to play such shots - but a choice of weapons can give that extra little confidence. much more important will be to practice with them as well. either 52/8 or 52/6 will do, and again if you find yourself in fluffy sand you can open the face and increase the bounce. I have a 52/8 which I find just right for me; but that's me.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hitting a 52/12 off a closely mown fairway would be my worst nightmare high bounce would not work at all well. But as said thats just me. I tried a few combinations but would rather start low and increase as face opens rather than start high and just get higher.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I dont believe most amateurs know what bounce they have, unless you play off concrete it wont make a blind bit of difference if its 8* or 12* bounce.........in my unknowledgable opinion of course :smirk:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont believe most amateurs know what bounce they have, unless you play off concrete it wont make a blind bit of difference if its 8* or 12* bounce.........in my unknowledgable opinion of course :smirk:

Not so. You give me a high bounce wedge and a low bounce one and not tell me which is which, I'll soon tell you playing off a tight lie. When I duff the high bounce you will know. This is the exact reason I got rid of a 56/14 MP-R12.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I dont believe most amateurs know what bounce they have,

I agree

unless you play off concrete it wont make a blind bit of difference if its 8* or 12* bounce

I disagree!

in my unknowledgable opinion of course :smirk:

I agree!

Worth having a wedge checkout with your Pro, but I'd be inclined to suggest a low-bounce GW gives you more/better options. I'm a Sweeper/Slider and I (generally) only use the High-ish Bounce SW from sand or 2nd cut rough. The GW is my favourite for around the green, but the LW gives me an uncompromised option for certain conditions. I don't believe in compromising for the scoring/precision clubs.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it. I've taken the plunge and got x2 wedges from Golfbidder. Details below and as per original suggestion. I'll see how I get on with the 52', it's got less bounce than my old 54 which I struggled with from tight lies (that had 14) so at least heading down in the right direction.

It'll be in the bag for the Stableford comp on Saturday so I'll see how I get on and report back.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a sweeper and love my 4 bounce 58*, I use it all the time from 50 in - in the summer. Its killing me now, doesn't suit the wet fairways. My 52 is 8 and perfect for all weathers, have a 54 sandwedge with 10 and a grind so I can open it up to much more than that, I've started using this around the greens and getting very fond of it but know once the turf hardens up it'll be back to the 58 (our course is an inland links so the sandy soil gets rock hard and they cut it really tight through the green).