WGC - Firestone

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back to the WGC's this week and we're back at Firestone for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. Matsuyama the defending champ but so many players coming into the week on good form. DJ won last week, Molinari is on a serious run, and of course Tiger is back in the field for a WGC. For me, TW is favourite and you only need to look at his record at Firestone to see why.....

Starts: 9
Wins: 7
Worst finish: 4th
Average finish: 1.4
Rounds: 36
Par or better: 31
Scoring average: 67.4
Low score: 61
To par: -92

Mental consistency, he loves this event and it was the tournament he won last back in 2013. Who do you guys think is going to take it?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to the WGC's this week and we're back at Firestone for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. Matsuyama the defending champ but so many players coming into the week on good form. DJ won last week, Molinari is on a serious run, and of course Tiger is back in the field for a WGC. For me, TW is favourite and you only need to look at his record at Firestone to see why.....

Starts: 9
Wins: 7
Worst finish: 4th
Average finish: 1.4
Rounds: 36
Par or better: 31
Scoring average: 67.4
Low score: 61
To par: -92

Mental consistency, he loves this event and it was the tournament he won last back in 2013. Who do you guys think is going to take it?

I could probably look it up, but when was his last start and last win.

Also I personally don't think he has the same mental game he used to, Tiger of old would have ground out the win at The Open when he got in the lead.

Or it may be because those in the field have no mental scars of being dominated by Tiger and would love nothing more to dethrone their idol.

I could be wrong of course

D

Deleted member 15344

It won’t be Woods - he can’t put four rounds together and going back years when he won doesn’t equate to the current situation regardless of how many times he has won - 5 years was his last win there

Rory likes it round there - DJ got to be favourite , outside bet could be someone like Berger , Leishman

D

Deleted member 1147

Surely the great thing about golf at the moment is that anyone of about 100 players is capable of getting a win, if they have a good week.

But of course there are several players who always seem to be at the pointy end of any event (Rose, DJ, Noren, Frankie, Rory, JT, Speith etc etc etc)

Golf is brilliant at the moment, and that's without even mentioning the resurgence of the big cat :)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
beware as there are a lot of guys who have played 3 weeks in a row, with this being the 4th and the PGA being the 5th.

History doesn't favour these guys.

Patrick Reed played Scottish Open / Open / Porche
De Chambeau will be playing Open / Porsche / Firestone
DJ will be the same - albeit he missed the cut at the Open.

Molinari has played a lot of golf before the Open, with only 1 week off.
Fleetwood has also played a lot, and played in Canada.

I like Rory for this. Tiger also has a chance and neither of them have played too much in the past month.
Put Rose in the same boat, but course is probably going to favour other players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why but I fancy Rickie. I feel like he's been playing generally well lately but just falling short, but it could all come together for him.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
beware as there are a lot of guys who have played 3 weeks in a row, with this being the 4th and the PGA being the 5th.

Was thinking this myself - wouldn't surprise me if the likes of DJ take the week off mentally and just go through the motions. Think it'll be different for Bryson who's looking to get every RC point he can - though tbh he seems nailed on to get a Captain's pick due to Woods' influence anyway.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Outside of the short price guys (I can never bring myself to bet on anyone less than 33/1, they're all so good it could be any of them) I like Adam Scott's chances @ 60s. He's another one struggling to put 4 rounds together (showed some form at the Open before falling away) but he's won there (as well as 4 other top 10s and 13th last year) and sometimes that's all these guys need to find what they almost have.

Which would mean Tiger is dangerous, but at 12/1 it doesn't pay unless he wins. A place might work out at 2/1 but if he shares it with someone else that gets cut again. With that depth of quality in the field no one is gauranteed a place imo.

Zach Johnson is generous at 50/1 also imo, would have won last year if Matsyuama didn't tear the place apart on Sunday.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiger is third favourite with the bookies. Most have him at 12-1.

Bookies odds are based on where people are putting there money, not necessarily who's most likely to win. Even if the bookies think there's no chance of Woods win, if loads of people bet on him they will short his odds in case he does win and they have to pay our loads

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I like Rory for this. Tiger also has a chance and neither of them have played too much in the past month.
Put Rose in the same boat, but course is probably going to favour other players.

Agree with pretty much all of that

Was thinking this myself - wouldn't surprise me if the likes of DJ take the week off mentally and just go through the motions. Think it'll be different for Bryson who's looking to get every RC point he can - though tbh he seems nailed on to get a Captain's pick due to Woods' influence anyway.

I don't think anyone goes through the motions at a WGC, its a good title with a huge purse and FEdEx cup points up for grabs, expect everyone to want it and the quality to rise to the top as generally happens when that happens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bookies odds are based on where people are putting there money, not necessarily who's most likely to win. Even if the bookies think there's no chance of Woods win, if loads of people bet on him they will short his odds in case he does win and they have to pay our loads
Agree, but that's still the shortest odds I've seen him at for any tournament this year. It just means he is well fancied for this one.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tiger at 12/1 ??? This is a place where you need to hit driver, but there are also trees. Maybe he's figuring on going so wide he plays from the middle of the next fairway.

Really not keen on the way this course looks, Peak overwatered, over long, tree lined, up and down US layout. Coming so soon after proper golf it jars.

If DJ didn't wear himself out mentally after the win last week, he or Day probably has the best chance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, this topic has talked me into parting with my hard-earned cash again. I've gone with Rickie to win, Schauffele and DeChambeau each way.