Wet Sand

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's just a bunker shot. Nothing has changed. Just hit the bit of sand under the ball out of the bunker and the jobs a good un.
Why complicate it any further? Golf is a game of simple.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the sand feels very wet and compact I tend to take my 60 which has less bounce and try and play it like a normal pitch/chip shot, i.e. ball first

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Use a lofted club with very little bounce and do not open the face. (Opening the face increases the bounce). With a square face to the target hit down into the sand about an inch behind the ball and let the club do its work. Simples. Try not to finesse it too much as you will probably leave the ball in the sand.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Use a lofted club with very little bounce and do not open the face. (Opening the face increases the bounce). With a square face to the target hit down into the sand about an inch behind the ball and let the club do its work. Simples. Try not to finesse it too much as you will probably leave the ball in the sand.
Is that not a technique for wet compacted sand ? If it just wet thick heavy sand wouldn't the club just dig in ? Not sure which type of 'wet sand' the OP means, but the compacted type, usually found when a puddle has just drained, are horrible especially with a big bunker lip.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is that not a technique for wet compacted sand ? If it just wet thick heavy sand wouldn't the club just dig in ? Not sure which type of 'wet sand' the OP means, but the compacted type, usually found when a puddle has just drained, are horrible especially with a big bunker lip.

This is exactly the type of Bunker I mean.....

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Played with a cat 1 player yesterday who used exactly this technique very successfully. In particular I noticed he really committed to the shot.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Played with a cat 1 player yesterday who used exactly this technique very successfully. In particular I noticed he really committed to the shot.

I did mean this technique for wet compacted sand. Also works quite well for plugged balls in dry sand with your normal sand wedge if you keep the face square to target and play the ball back in your stance a little.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I did mean this technique for wet compacted sand. Also works quite well for plugged balls in dry sand with your normal sand wedge if you keep the face square to target and play the ball back in your stance a little.

This is what I do for compacted wet sand. It usually works, but I occasionally blade one right over the green. Still preferable to leaving it in the bunker!