weight shift on downswing, any drills to practice?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so after playing 18 with the club captain today he pointed out afterwards that my poor shots were being caused by keeping my weight on the right side.

My pro did mention this last year but as I am between coaches at the mo I wondered if anyone had any good drills. I found it difficult to incorporate the hips/weight shift last time but now want to work on it until its sorted.

cheers in advance

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gibbo - as someone who is still to take lessons I rely on tips and videos on the interweb. Some others have mentioned him before but Mark Crossfield is a great online pro.

This tip should give you a good idea of what to look out for. Use this when I am swinging in the living room or the range. Always try to have something by my right foot. It works for me.

Also - For me anyway - the weight shift should occur between the backswing and downswing. Shifting your weight during your downswing can cause alot of problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f67E...AvjVQa1PpcFO_pEPVBWqhLZCm2XzWF99nCtoS4lcSb-E=

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah I meant to initiate the downswing, badly worded (I knew what I meant lol)

last time it was a bump of the hips but I just couldnt integrate it, ended up in a right mess

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought i had this problem but in truth i was starting the downswing incorrectly which also resulted leaving weight on the right hand side

Changed to starting the downswing with the hips and my god what a difference no more fat shots

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can you tell us what problems please?

Hi bob,

I got carried away. I meant to just post the clip for GIBBO, rather than try to explain it my own shoddy understanding. Seems some if has leaked out at the end :)

should know better than to post in here :)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gibbo you could try putting a ball under your back foot. That will make you move your weight forward (or fall on your backside). But don't forget to turn or you will just sway forward and hit it thin.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I try and stay centered over the ball and don't intentionally transfer any weight to the right side and hence don't have this problem. I always found the back and through weight shift very hard to co-ordinate. My understanding is that they've tested tour pros using some kind of weight detection board and most of them don't have a shift to the right either.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As an addenum to that, I'm hitting it more farther and more solidly than ever with a more centered, rotational swing.