Wedges

hoop67

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking for i bit of advice please.Have returned to golf in the past year or so after not playing from about 16 year old.I currently have 5-sw (putter + woods) in my bag but no lob or approach wedges.I have allways played a pitching wedge or a wee chip and run from round the green.What advice i am looking for is if i bought a lob/approach wedge what shoild i be looking at buying degree wise?,cheers.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The usual advise would be to get the lofts from your PW and sw and fill the gap. If your PW was 46deg and your sw 56deg then add a 50 and 54deg wedge. You might find in the future that you ditch the sw in favour of another 56deg to match your other wedges.

That said I know a few golfers who successfully use an iron set sw

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The usual advise would be to get the lofts from your PW and sw and fill the gap. If your PW was 46deg and your sw 56deg then add a 50 and 54deg wedge. You might find in the future that you ditch the sw in favour of another 56deg to match your other wedges.

I find it strange you'd have a 54 and a 56?

I'd suggest a 52 and a 58.
And as for which make....MD are popular as are Vokeys.
Ask your pro if he has any you can borrow and try them out on the course.

Maybe also look at getting some hybrids to fill the gap between your 5 wood and 5 iron

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
52 & 58 as Bob the wedgemeister states. As a high handicapper I had the 52/56/60, 50/54/58, too many choices = too much brain interference = too many wasted shots.

2 wedges + pw is enough for all situations and distances providing you put enough practice in :thup:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

That said I know a few golfers who successfully use an iron set sw

Or just get something around 51 if you are happy with your current SW. Should fill the gap pretty well IMO

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find it strange you'd have a 54 and a 56?

I'd suggest a 52 and a 58.
And as for which make....MD are popular as are Vokeys.
Ask your pro if he has any you can borrow and try them out on the course.

Maybe also look at getting some hybrids to fill the gap between your 5 wood and 5 iron
Sorry bob your correct, not sure what happened as I was going for 4deg gaps. No wonder my scorecard ends up looking like a cricket score [insertwhistlesmiley]:D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My PW is 48*. I've added a 52* & 56* - works for me. Tried a 60* but I was just too good at catching it heavy...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found the addition of a 'low bounce' (relative to the SW) 52 to be the single most effective club addition I have made in the last 30 years.

I am not a great fan of 'gaping' wedges, basically because you are always going to have gaps! A 52, in most hands, is going to deliver a usefully different distance from any PW, when used with a natural swing or such shorter standard strokes as you establish in your short game.

It's also carries a usefull relationship to a standard SW at 56.

The issue of a lob wedge is more complex IMO, I have them but tend to substitute them for the SW when playing courses with little sand in the bunkers.

The only time I'm likely to carry all 3 is when playing short courses with small, well guarded, greens and the likelyhood of lots of short approach shots to tricky targets (not often!)

As ever, it's what suits you and your circumstances.

hoop67

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice,will try 52 and or 58.What does the 8 or 10 mean when beside the loft degree?