Wedges

putterman60

Visit site
i only got a sand wedge when i got my very expensive Hippo "Peter Aliss" irons........... and it was noticed

i did use it once yesterday in medium rough actually to good effect

just wondered what wedges does everyone carry

Oh one more question ...... who`s got a chipper in there bag :LOL:

phillarrow

Visit site
My pitching wedge is 45 degrees and I also have a 50 degree gap wedge, 54 degree and wedge and 58 degree lob wedge. However, for my next set of irons, I intend to go down to PW, GW, SW and lose the most lofted wedge.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only wedges I carry at this time of the year are 52 and 54. The former for fairway and short grass the latter for long grass and bunkers.

I do not consider the club with PW on the bottom to be a wedge.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the moment I'm carrying just 1 wedge...a 54.
Thats because I'm carrying a half set because of the bloody weather:mad::mad::mad:

evemccc

Visit site
Don’t need any more loft than 56/57 IMO

If 14 clubs are taken, I think more benefit is given by having more options at the top, and by being ‘better’ and spending longer practicing using 1/2 wedges well > 3 or 4

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don’t need any more loft than 56/57 IMO

If 14 clubs are taken, I think more benefit is given by having more options at the top, and by being ‘better’ and spending longer practicing using 1/2 wedges well > 3 or 4

I am not sure I agree. I have driver 3W and 5W, 3H, 4H and 5H so my top end is pretty well covered in terms of gapping. I would rather have more options at the bottom end in terms of loft and also bounce which can then be manipulated to give more/less loft. I also have 3 x 58 degree wedges with different bounces for different turf/sand conditions

putterman60

Visit site
Really the answer to this question is `why am i asking about various wedges when i cant use a 7 iron properly lol`

and getting a ball out of a bunker for me is ........ well words fail me

i think i`m gonna have to face facts and just go to the nice little pitch and putt course and pretend (probably before i do some damage)

Happy golfing everyone .......... springs coming soon :):)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One of my favourite sets. Just like @bobmac, I have posted this a few times.

SDC11306.JPG

The 8, 9 and 10 irons are 44, 49 and 54 degrees. Is this "no wedges" or "3 wedges"?

Actually, you can see "wedge" is just visible on the 10-iron. So, just one wedge then, when I play with this set?

I do know one gentleman who is not embarrassed to admit to owning a few chippers.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I wish we would go back to numbering irons correctly.

Modern day 4-iron is actually a 2-iron.
Hence the need for lots of names like AW, GW, UW, LW etc.

After a 9-iron that is something like 47 to 50 degrees, there should be no need for more than 2 wedges for most golfers.

evemccc

Visit site
I wish we would go back to numbering irons correctly.

Modern day 4-iron is actually a 2-iron.
Hence the need for lots of names like AW, GW, UW, LW etc.

After a 9-iron that is something like 47 to 50 degrees, there should be no need for more than 2 wedges for most golfers.

I have a 16 degree iron, I use it off the tee in windy conditions, so what would that be in old money…1 iron?

D

Deleted member 18121

48 degree that matches my set (ap3).

52/56 smithworks wedges for the rest of the dirty work.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't posted this for a while, it's a picture of all my wedges.
Please note the loft and bounce.

View attachment 41617

I remember taking the 7 iron and PW demo clubs on the course for 4 holes when those clubs first came out (assuming those are the foam filled version)
I was going to buy them until the pro told me the price. From memory they were something like £650 and that was in the 90s.