Wedges advice

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my clubs and currently have my PW 43º, GW 49º and SW 55º. I'm looking at adding another to that as a lob wedge. My PW, as you can see is, quite strong lofted but I'm happy with the range that the 3 give me. I'm thinking I should go for either a 58º or 60º wedge for my lob wedge. Anyone able to recommend either way?

Also can anyone recommend a model of wedge that might suit me. I'm fairly new to the game and an unofficial high handicap. My clubs atm are mainly Wilson Staff so a matching wedge would be nice but I'm happy to listen to other suggestions.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob will be along in a minute to tell you that you don't need 3 wedges ;)

This months mag has a good wedge section that could be worth a look.

I'd say go for the 60* but the loft can be a bit much to handle if you aren't comfortable with wedge play. I think 58* would be too small a gap from the 55* though. Personally I've had Nike, and Cleveland wedges but opted for the MD as they offered excellent quality for the money. Have also tried Vokey's and thought they were great but couldn't justify the additional cost.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im in the 3 wedge club. I have my Nike VR split cavity PW, plus a 52 and a 60 deg Ram tour grind wedges. I have a 56deg wilson TW9 which doesnt make it to the course as I think there is no need for it.

I will be looking for a Nike 50&56 combination to go with my irons but still think that more than 2 wedges other than your PW is overkill

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
I only think of mine as having 2 wedges just now. Although it's labelled as a PW I find it hits like my old 9 iron. In truth I basically hit all my clubs 1 less than my previous ones. I think the Di7's are quite well known for strong lofts though so I'm assuming its fairly normal to be hitting the same club further. I just really need something for around the green. I think I'll go for a 60º wedge to keep the gaps consistent. Just need to figure out which shiny I want now. :clap:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can I ask what set of Irons you have?

Only reason is a PW at 43* is bonkers strong!!!

That's my 9 Iron!!!......No, really.... It is :mad:

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
I have Wilson Staff Di7. Yeah that's what I meant earlier lol. The loft in every club is basically making each club one stronger than it should be. That's why I don't include my PW as one of my wedges. Lovely, forgiving clubs to hit though :fore:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont get me wrong. But I dont think a 60* wedge is a good idea for a beginner/high handicapper. Not the easiest of clubs to use. Whats wrong with chipping with a 6 or 9 iron around the green? If you have to go over a hazard just open up the face of your sand wedge?

P.s. Just as a matter of interest what is your club line up?

Last edited:

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Perhaps I'll hang fire on getting a new wedge then although I find them easy to use. Distance is my main weakness ATM. Clubs are:
Snake eyes viper XLD
Wilson staff fybrid 3 wood and 19.5 degree hybrid
Wilson staff di7 4 to sw
Odyssey white hot xg #1

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dont get me wrong. But I dont think a 60* wedge is a good idea for a beginner/high handicapper. Not the easiest of clubs to use. Whats wrong with chipping with a 6 or 9 iron around the green? If you have to go over a hazard just open up the face of your sand wedge?

I agree to some extent. But my view is that a sand wedge is (pretty much) only for sand - the other use being thickish rough around green or recovery situations from heather/clumpy stuff. While Lob Wedge can be tricky, I've seen loads of 'high' handicappers who use it often and well. A low bounce (or with grind to effectively lose bounce) 58* could well complement the OP's other wedges and is likely to be less tricky than a 60*.

As someone with a 48* PW, those are ridiculously strong clubs!