Wedge Spread

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice and to see what others do.

In my bag I carry the following wedges - PW (45d), SW, 56 degree (I bump and run with my 7 or 8)

Ive just found out my SW is 55 degrees and to be honest, I only carry it to play from the sand so other clubs arent effected/ ruined.

What wedge would you add to/ remove from my bag? Ideally I'd like a nice spread but would like to know how others achieve this.

Currently my 56 comes out for pretty much anything inside 100 yards. P is solid for 120 down to 100.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 3432

You have been playing a couple of months I think?

Don't over complicate it at this stage is my advice.

If you are having lessons get the pro to advise you on short game.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You have been playing a couple of months I think?

Don't over complicate it at this stage is my advice.

If you are having lessons get the pro to advise you on short game.

Used to play as a junior.. played quite a bit over time, just never taken golf as seriously as I am now. Ill ask the pro at my lesson this weekend, good idea to be fair!

Robin Hood

Visit site
Some good advice above.
I am like yourself - however I also use a Mizuno 60 degree lob wedge to do Flop shots over greenside bunkers, or chipping out of hard bunkers.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Some good advice above.
I am like yourself - however I also use a Mizuno 60 degree lob wedge to do Flop shots over greenside bunkers, or chipping out of hard bunkers.

I think to be honest that im angling that I want to add a 60 for exactly what you use it for..

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My wedges are
  • PW - 44°
  • GW - 50°
  • SW - 56°
  • LW - 60°
I tend to use the 60° lob wedge more for greenside bunkers now. The 56° is used for shorter high approaches to the green.
The point to bear in mind is the higher the loft, the more you need to feel comfortable with it so a wedge lesson would also be a good idea.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me wedges are all about round the green shots and shots from about 80 yards in.

Take your 55 SW and the 56 which I would also consider a SW works out which one gets the ball out of bunkers the best and ditch the other one.

fill the gap between the SW with something around 52 which is good for greenside pitches and longer chip and run then make decision about whether or not you are good enough around the green with the 52 and 56 not to need a lob wedge.

Personally I only carry a 52 and a 54 the latter being suited to our bunkers and more lofted greenside shots but I have hit tens of 1000s of round the green practice shots during the 40 + years I have played and know how to manipulate wedges for high and low shots.

Modern players will put the 60 or thereabouts in to save manipulating the wedges.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
For me wedges are all about round the green shots and shots from about 80 yards in.

Take your 55 SW and the 56 which I would also consider a SW works out which one gets the ball out of bunkers the best and ditch the other one.

fill the gap between the SW with something around 52 which is good for greenside pitches and longer chip and run then make decision about whether or not you are good enough around the green with the 52 and 56 not to need a lob wedge.

Personally I only carry a 52 and a 54 the latter being suited to our bunkers and more lofted greenside shots but I have hit tens of 1000s of round the green practice shots during the 40 + years I have played and know how to manipulate wedges for high and low shots.

Modern players will put the 60 or thereabouts in to save manipulating the wedges.

Appreciate the advice! I like the idea of the bump and run 52, might see if i can get a dunlop club to play around with and see how it goes!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ahh the dilemmas of modern lofts, there was a time when pitching wedges were around 50 or 52 degrees and gap wedges weren't a thing.

Oh for the joys of simple golf. :whistle:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 45/50/56/60.
But play most of my shots 80yds and in with the 50.
You need to learn to hit high and low shots with your main weapon imo ( your go to club).
I change loft if I don’t think I can play it with the 50*.
It also depends on your home course.
Mine is 6500 yds so not to long ,but has some big slopes around the greens.
So good short game is important hence the four wedges.