Wedge line up question

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently have a 50/54/58 set up, my 50 is mostly used around the greens and pitches from 70 yards and in.
Looking to change out my 54/58 as a bit worn now, what's your preferred set up, I'm thinking 56 for the bunkers lots of bounce and then a 60 lob with less bounce for those shots when you have no room.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the current line-up fits then I'd be inclined to replace like for like
The Jaws are quite high bounce anyway if I remember so a 54 should have ample loft to get you out of bunkers.
Going 50-56 might leave a gap or create an awkward distance.
I used to have 4 wedges but recently went to a PW, 52, 58 combo and it seems to be working quite well...

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgot to add it's unlikely that I am going to hit full on wedges after the 50,so gaps not an issue.just looking for the set up to give me the best options.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
if your not using 54 for approach shots then i can see why your thinking 56, 60 is it worth considering just having a 58 and making room for something else at the other end of the bag?
although you seem fairly nicely set up there! only possibly a touch big gap between 3H and 4 iron?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
56/60 works for me. but that's off a 48* PW. 54/58 would seem to work for you.

High effective bounce for sand and whatever is best (low for me) for the lob.

Have to query whether are really worn or not though! Pros may change them a couple of times a year, but they are looking for absolutely top performance and are hitting tens of thousands of balls before considering them worn! New shineys might look nice, but so do a couple of 'old friends'.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if your not using 54 for approach shots then i can see why your thinking 56, 60 is it worth considering just having a 58 and making room for something else at the other end of the bag?
although you seem fairly nicely set up there! only possibly a touch big gap between 3H and 4 iron?

No the 4i is a beast not a million miles behind the 3h.
ATV wedges might be the answer if they have multiple bounce options? So could see a 54/58 working in that
NOt really worn at all foxholes but fancy new wedges as a couple of years old now and not the biggest Cally fan

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
NOt really worn at all foxholes but fancy new wedges as a couple of years old now and not the biggest Cally fan

Save your money (or spend it on lessons)!

Cally wedges are up there with the best. Disliking brands is ok for subsequent purchase, but discarding perfectly good kit is just stupid imo. But Golf and common sense are rarely associated terms!:whistle:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow the rbz stage 2 are awesome so if 4 irons keeping up can see why no probs there.
Sounds as if bag settled really so like for like would be way to go then.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Currently have a 50/54/58 set up, my 50 is mostly used around the greens and pitches from 70 yards and in.
Looking to change out my 54/58 as a bit worn now, what's your preferred set up, I'm thinking 56 for the bunkers lots of bounce and then a 60 lob with less bounce for those shots when you have no room.

My preferred set up when it comes to wedges is a 52/58. 58 with mid/high bounce and the 52 with mid bounce.

I, personally, don't need anymore.

People who tend to carry 4+ wedges prefer to be hitting full shots into greens, this, from what I read of your post isn't what you're after.

In your instance I'd be tempted to drop the 54 all together. I'm guessng your PW is 45* and your AW is 50*? if so, I would add a mid/high bounce 56* to that set up and call it a day.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My preferred set up when it comes to wedges is a 52/58. 58 with mid/high bounce and the 52 with mid bounce.

I, personally, don't need anymore.

People who tend to carry 4+ wedges prefer to be hitting full shots into greens, this, from what I read of your post isn't what you're after.

In your instance I'd be tempted to drop the 54 all together. I'm guessng your PW is 45* and your AW is 50*? if so, I would add a mid/high bounce 56* to that set up and call it a day.

My kind of thinking, got my eye on a 56 atv on eBay also a 64 for those fluffy little green side chips out of the rough with no space to work.give it a full swipe and it would only go 20 yards!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My kind of thinking, got my eye on a 56 atv on eBay also a 64 for those fluffy little green side chips out of the rough with no space to work.give it a full swipe and it would only go 20 yards!

...... Or you could open the face of the 58 along with your stance and play the same shot and still have space for another club.

Maybe a 5 wood :D

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Iv'e switched to 51 and 55,pw is 47 so I've 4 degrees between every club. Made room for a 5 wood which has been used a million times more than the 58 wedge I carried. Pitching has improved too as I 'know my 2 wedges better now. Less is more sometimes,I 've never been in a situation since I switched where I thought I needed a higher loft. Most wedges these days are designed to be opened up anyway.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Iv'e switched to 51 and 55,pw is 47 so I've 4 degrees between every club. Made room for a 5 wood which has been used a million times more than the 58 wedge I carried. Pitching has improved too as I 'know my 2 wedges better now. Less is more sometimes,I 've never been in a situation since I switched where I thought I needed a higher loft. Most wedges these days are designed to be opened up anyway.

Had a few swipes with a 5 wood and it prob goes 10 yards more than the hybrid,tbh I am not that accurate from 200 yards so I feel a 5 wood would be a wasted club as I can take on my 3 wood if around 200+ and be happy near the green.
Read an interesting article by Ralph Maltby saying Sw should not be lower than 56 and no greater than 58 which kind of defeats the 54, defo leaning towards a 56/60 set up at the minute.