Wedge bounce dilemma.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve consistently struggled to get out of the sand withanything like the sort of consistency I would hope for. On a recent trip toSweden where they had very recently had torrential rain and the bunkers hadbeen flooded for several days the sand was firm to say the least, afterthinning a couple of attempted splash shots I tried the 60 deg wedge and theresults were night and day different.
Since returning I have continued with using the 60 deg frombunkers (ours are probably the worst part of the course and also very firm) andam now hugely more confident from sand. Combine that with the much longer grassjust off the fringe of the greens and my lob wedge is fast becoming my new bestfriend!
This all makes my 56 deg sand wedge somewhat redundant (thethins are scarey for my playing partners off firm fairways!), so I have beenthinking of changing the 56 deg, which has 12 deg of bounce from memory, to asimilar lofted wedge with much less bounce to give more options both out of thesand and from around the green. I can always leave the current sand wedge inthe boot of the car in case of playing a track that has nice fluffy sand in thebunkers.
Anyone else gone this route?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've gone from a 56* to 58* but for better distance gapping over bunker play.

Since Bob posted a video on getting height out of a bunker (...... When he was taking requests a while back) my sand saves have increased dramatically.

My problem was not being agressive enough through the sand and, I suppose decelerating through impact.

Since taking on Bobs advice, I'm a different player out of sand.

Edit: In addition. My 58 has 2* less bounce than my previous 56* and, to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I carry a 56* with 10* bounce as this helps me to play off of fairways as well as the sand. Previously I had a 56/13 but struggled off tighter lies.
To be honest out of the sand the low bounce isn't noticed and my ability to get out was the same with both, it was just that 80-90 yard fairway shot I wanted to cover off.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still carry 3 wedges with different lofts and different soles / bounce angles.

It provides an extra degree of confidence from appropriate lies as and when they occur - fluffy sand is not the only place that a heavy sole with plenty of bounce helps so it stays in the bag even when it's unlikely to be used from greenside bunkers.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, quite a few of our bunkers had become very compacted and I bought an old 56SW with 8 degrees of bounce to use. Results were good and I feel like there's less chance of thinning it.

Having said that they are replacing a lot of the sand so we now have some fluffy and some firm bunkers so I have switched to 11 degrees as this is also better off the soft fairways we have at the moment. I don't have room for 4 wedges so just have to compromise a bit.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an MD Drew low bounce 56 degree wedge and can do anything from the bunkers with it. Changed to playing links from parkland and need a few bunker practise sessions to get it as consistent as I had to the parkland bunkers, but initial shots make me think I need to open it up a little less to gain the height needed for pot bunkers. Lots of spin with it and can't recommend enough!!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use all my wedges out of bunkers, sometimes even a 9i. They are not matching in any way (make) or the amount of bounce.

I'm not sure I understand the thread, but I can't ever recall buying a wedge with more than a regular bounce, just can't seem to face trying to hit any kind of wedge with a massive lump of metal lower than the leading edge. I'm sure a big bounce works wonders in some (deep) sand and under certain circumstances around the green.

I love all my wedges, for different reasons. The TM one for the "heavy feel" around greens in nasty lies. The lightness of the Vokey for sand shots and the sheer height of the 60 degree (MD Seve model).

Never carry more than 2, if I could have 15 or 16 clubs, then I'd happily have the lot.

Couldn't tell you the bounce on any, like I said.