Wearing non "golfing" waterproofs

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
So i've posted on here looking for some reasonably priced waterproofs, and nearly every option coming back seems very expensive for whats actually needed.

Has anyone any experience of wearing non golfing waterpoofes (ie a hill walking jacket?) or similar and has any advice? Really cant see why the below options from decathlon wouldn't do the trick for the occasional shower while out playing

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-black-id_8300326.html#v1803678

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/waterproof-overtrousers-nh500-id_8382416.html

carldudley

Visit site
go with what is comfortable. I think the 'golf-specific' waterproofs have a little extra maneuverability or maybe i just bought mind a size too big. I dont think i could get my arms over my head without a squeeze in my regular waterproof jacket, but my golf ones i dont feel any pressure on my shoulders etc.

I have the golf waterproofs from Decathlon and they're smashing, plenty of room and pockets and zips at the heels to slide off after a muddy round/.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quechua is camping stuff by the looks of it, so you might find it a bit warm for trekking around a golf course in? But they have gear for running on Decathlon as well which will probably be fine.

I had a New Balance water resistant jacket I bought from TK Maxx, but to be honest I always got a bit warm and sweaty when I had it in, as I guess it wasn't very breathable as not designed for sport as such. Now I have an Under Armour golf one (found cheap on ebay) and I've only worn it once but I could feel the difference, kept the rain off without making me too hot. So while you don't need golf gear as such, it's worth getting something designed for sport at least.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Quechua is camping stuff by the looks of it, so you might find it a bit warm for trekking around a golf course in? But they have gear for running on Decathlon as well which will probably be fine.

I had a New Balance water resistant jacket I bought from TK Maxx, but to be honest I always got a bit warm and sweaty when I had it in, as I guess it wasn't very breathable as not designed for sport as such. Now I have an Under Armour golf one (found cheap on ebay) and I've only worn it once but I could feel the difference, kept the rain off without making me too hot. So while you don't need golf gear as such, it's worth getting something designed for sport at least.

I've had some expensive cycling waterproof jackets (hi-vis) and they are very warm and clammy (even when claiming to be breathable!) so i think its just a feature of any non gortex jacket

my thinking is for say 30min showers it would be fine to pull these on - any longer than say an hour or two of heavy rain and i'd probably give up on the round!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had some expensive cycling waterproof jackets (hi-vis) and they are very warm and clammy (even when claiming to be breathable!) so i think its just a feature of any non gortex jacket

my thinking is for say 30min showers it would be fine to pull these on - any longer than say an hour or two of heavy rain and i'd probably give up on the round!
Yeah, if I hadn't have found the UA one for £35 I would have got a non-golf one as well. It's just nice if you can avoid the kind of cheap plasticky kind of jackets. But I definitely don't see the value in spending more than 50 on a top waterproof that you scrunch up and leave in your golf bag for 9 months.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah, if I hadn't have found the UA one for £35 I would have got a non-golf one as well. It's just nice if you can avoid the kind of cheap plasticky kind of jackets. But I definitely don't see the value in spending more than 50 on a top waterproof that you scrunch up and leave in your golf bag for 9 months.
Thats my own thinking too - i'm not spending near 100 on a jacket and trousers for it to be in my bag half the year. I'd rather have a solid mid-layer option and throw these over the top for showers

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf specific waterproofs are designed with more room in the shoulders so you can swing the club unrestricted.
I hate waterproofs and always try and avoid wearing them.
Any make will do as long as you can swing in them.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think even cheap golf weather gear (jacket) makes a difference. I started to play and used good rain gear from my running days, but that is designed for arms to go forward and backward, up was really uncomfortable, and I couldn't play in it al all. I since bought a golf rain jacket and it is great. I bought a proquip jacket because somewhere here it was described as really good cheap alternative, and i even forget I have it on. Probably only used it 4 1/2 round is 6 month, but without it they would have been miserable. Now, a rain hat will be my next step, but I think you need to be 70 to wear one ;-)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would always go for golfing specific waterproofs as they are designed for purpose. That's not to say there aren't bargains to be had using thing like heel walking gear but I wonder with the jackets how easy it would be to swing a club at full speed at something that isn't specifically tailored for that motion

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two of my goretex jackets are Sprayway which is mainly aimed at the walking/hiking fraternity. They came with removable fleece liners which when removed gave the extra swing room. They were less than half the price of Galvin Green or similar.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hey OP, afraid I don't have an answer for you as I've tended to pick up bits in the golf sales.
With my grumpy face on though, "golfing" isn't a thing (ignore the US ?). You've even infiltrated Homie! ?
Good luck.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have a good rummage around the Internet for sales, you will find decent stuff at sensible prices. Try countygolf, affordablegolf etc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think even cheap golf weather gear (jacket) makes a difference. I started to play and used good rain gear from my running days, but that is designed for arms to go forward and backward, up was really uncomfortable, and I couldn't play in it al all. I since bought a golf rain jacket and it is great. I bought a proquip jacket because somewhere here it was described as really good cheap alternative, and i even forget I have it on. Probably only used it 4 1/2 round is 6 month, but without it they would have been miserable. Now, a rain hat will be my next step, but I think you need to be 70 to wear one ;-)
Rather look 70 and dry than “trendy” and wet!;)
I have a Galvin green bucket hat years old and with waterproofs don’t need a brolly.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather look 70 and dry than “trendy” and wet!;)
I have a Galvin green bucket hat years old and with waterproofs don’t need a brolly.
Oh, I had one in my basket so often, just haven't hit the trigger (yet). I really want some of their gear. Everyone who has GG is raving about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, I had one in my basket so often, just haven't hit the trigger (yet). I really want some of their gear. Everyone who has GG is raving about it.
It’s very expensive but the quality is second to none.
They have very long arms which I like.
The insula jumpers are really good.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Uve realy got to look at good waterproofs as a long term investment . Its a heavy outlay at first but comfort and playability is vitaly mportant ..
Divide cost out over 6/7 years and u will see value in it

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mind you, I've had to put my waterproof jacket on a couple of times lately and it's defo not designed for summer.
Might take a trip to Decathlon tomorrow just to see what they have.
I have a short sleeved waterproof top which is perfect for our current June monsoons

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Uve realy got to look at good waterproofs as a long term investment . Its a heavy outlay at first but comfort and playability is vitaly mportant ..
Divide cost out over 6/7 years and u will see value in it

Yeah but you are in Ireland
It hardly ever stops raining there
Bit like Manchester ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bought a good pair of hiking waterproof trousers - for walking but mainly with golf in mind. Didn’t spot they had no pocket slits ?

My hiking showerproof ‘craghopper’ type trousers are however perfect for golf.

one of our group‘s ‘Oldies’ wears an old-fashioned anorak with hood. It’s not the best look but - to be fair - I doubt he cares a monkeys what it looks like if it works for him.