Wearables in golf - what do you think?

Visit site
Hello fellow golf-lovers,

I was wondering if you would be willing to help me out for a school project I am working on.

The project is on wearable health technology and my group has chosen to look at a biometric shirt for golfers. Would you be willing to help us in our data collection by completing the following short, anonymous survey?

We are posting on this forum because we want people who are passionate about golf, and the individuals in our personal networks are more occasional golfers.

You can find the survey here:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1861954/5318287cfe72

Thank you so much!

Amarpreet Kaur
vitatech.inc@gmail.com

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should allow some not required and then allow for that in your statistical methods. I would love to help but I don't want to answer some of the questions.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is not a school project, but a company in america. Here is a list if the patents they already own.

http://www.patentgenius.com/assignee/VivaTechInc.html

This is hardly ground breaking technology Under Armour make one along with other companies. If you are just looking for a cheap lazy way to get market research then go elsewhere. If you want research then pay for it or do the footwork, not just stick a post on this forum and hope to get it that way.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would just add that you might want to discuss aspects of your potential product with the games ruling bodies before investing heavily (which I suspect Lynx wished they did last year...) around these elements -

"Would your likelihood of use increase if this product enhanced your game by correlating your performance with your heart rate, breathing, etc.?
Would your likelihood of use increase if the integrated app also provided digital scorecards and GPS functionality that allowed you to track your progression on a course and allowed you to compare your historical results?"

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wearables in Golf - What do i think?

What a load of kack!

Do I need/want it? - No.

Would I buy it? - No.

...And what difference does my earnings make???

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is not a school project, but a company in america. Here is a list if the patents they already own.

http://www.patentgenius.com/assignee/VivaTechInc.html

This is hardly ground breaking technology Under Armour make one along with other companies. If you are just looking for a cheap lazy way to get market research then go elsewhere. If you want research then pay for it or do the footwork, not just stick a post on this forum and hope to get it that way.

If you are going to spout vitriol then at least check your facts first. It's vita not viva. A quick search of the posters email address and you find many other forums where the same question is being asked and provide further detail about the poster. A Masters in Biotech at the University of Toronto doing research for Hexoskin.

Most companies email would be name@company.com as well.

So, swing and a miss there Madadey.

D

Deleted member 15344

Are these basically just baselayers ?

What is the difference between a biometric shirt and a baselayer ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blimey, the blokes just asking for some anonymous info. Pretty harmless. This is an intelligent base layer. Electronics in the material giving information to the wearer. These will become commonplace, possibly already are in some professional teams/sports, but not for a while due to price. Interesting how things are moving though.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think it's an interesting idea however I feel the information such as HR and calories burned etc would be better integrated into a wearable GPS unit. Like a Polar heart rate monitor with GPS built in.

As for the health side of it, if you're so unfit that golf is hazardous I can't see this idea taking off because:
Fatties don't look great in vests :p
If you don't have the will power to stop eating those pies then I doubt you have the motivation to spend your cash on this gizmo (when you could be buying more pies).

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think it's an interesting idea however I feel the information such as HR and calories burned etc would be better integrated into a wearable GPS unit. Like a Polar heart rate monitor with GPS built in.

As for the health side of it, if you're so unfit that golf is hazardous I can't see this idea taking off because:
Fatties don't look great in vests :p
If you don't have the will power to stop eating those pies then I doubt you have the motivation to spend your cash on this gizmo (when you could be buying more pies).

You are falling into the trap of believing that only overweight people have health problems. Look at the number of "healthy" individuals that drop due to cardiac arrest etc. Now imagine a biometric shirt that monitors heart rhythm etc and could pick up and warn the wearer about a previously undetected issue before it reaches a critical stage. Unidentified arrhythmia under stress etc.

Can't see them taking off in golf mind you except maybe as part of athletic training.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You are falling into the trap of believing that only overweight people have health problems. Look at the number of "healthy" individuals that drop due to cardiac arrest etc. Now imagine a biometric shirt that monitors heart rhythm etc and could pick up and warn the wearer about a previously undetected issue before it reaches a critical stage. Unidentified arrhythmia under stress etc.

Can't see them taking off in golf mind you except maybe as part of athletic training.

It's a trap!

Mostly tongue in cheek.

Hypochondria-Vest sounds catchy though!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Blimey, the blokes just asking for some anonymous info. Pretty harmless. This is an intelligent base layer. Electronics in the material giving information to the wearer. These will become commonplace, possibly already are in some professional teams/sports, but not for a while due to price. Interesting how things are moving though.

Blimey, I know my game is bad enough anyway, I don't need my shirt telling me that as well.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I can see the benefit for things like football or rugby at the top level, maybe even pro golf at a push. I could also see the benefit when I'm out running but at our level in golf it is pointless. Most of the time on the course you are either standing still or walking (and not especially quickly). I really don't see what possible benefit something like this could bring to your average club golfer?