Wear on Graphite Shafts

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All three of my woods have slight wear on the shafts caused by
rubbing in the bag. Is this wear even though unsightly any cause for deteriation in
performance of the clubs. I havent noticed any yet but will it happen.
If it does cause a problem is it easy the get shafts changed?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just unsightly!

Shafts can be replaced pretty easily, but not really DIY.

To avoid future wear, make sure head-covers are long enough and cover the area where they lean on bag dividers and that the bag dividers themselves aren't worn.

Many/most hybrid head=covers are useless for shaft protection!

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had this problem with my bags, so much so that the head of my driver fell off and it cost me £70 for a new shaft.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had this problem with my bags, so much so that the head of my driver fell off and it cost me £70 for a new shaft.

light wear to the shaft finish from such rubbing shouldn't weaken the shaft - however, it's really easy to get physical damage from shafts in contact with a hard surface during transit (bouncing around in the boot of a car or even when putting the bag in the car).

we went through a phase of the tops of sea fishing rods 'falling off' - and traced it to rods rested against nylon pipe when running rather than put into rod rests or otherwise put away. Graphite has almost no strength to even light repetive contacts.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You could pop some tape on the shafts to prevent the rubbing, but looks liek you're a little too late for that. You could always pop some tape on to prevent them getting worse (worse visually that is, such wear has no effect on performance).

Black eletrical tape, for example, is practically invisible on my D+ Whiteboard.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This ^^^^^

I have some tape around my driver to prevent wear from the bag. Many makes of headcover are too short.