weak or strong

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello after a bit of research on the net I realised I had a weak grip with at fade shot to slice, but was playing well and broke 90 a few times which is good for me. So I changed my grip to strong grip so you could see 2/3 knuckles at set up and most of the time i am hitting the ball mostly to the left but my score has suffered and have started to hit in the 90s again. Is it better to have a stong grip than a weak grip? Should i go back to my old grip? I am keen to improve and would like to know which is best way forward. Cheers for any help

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should i go back to my old grip?

Not i.m.o.

Get your grip right and then go from there. If you were weak and then tweaked it strong, you are going to struggle for a while....but it's worth it.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should i go back to my old grip?

Not i.m.o.

Get your grip right and then go from there. If you were weak and then tweaked it strong, you are going to struggle for a while....but it's worth it.

Welcome there lynchy76.
I agree with Dave here too.
I too suffered the same as you i switched to a stronger grip and was hitting everthing dead straight left.... Apperantely this is the first step in ridding yourself of the slice from everything i read up about it... what was happening me was i was opening my alignment at setup to compensate for the slice and never thought to close it with the stronger grip.Try closing your setup stance the next time your out to nearly dead square of your target and see how you get on with the stronger grip if your still pulling it left just drop your right leg back slightly (roughly in line with the ball of your left foot this should sort you) i now play with a slight fade i think this is my natural shape so i dont tinker with it anymore and im playing much better

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Is it better to have a stong grip than a weak grip?
It depends which kind of shot you want to hit.. fade or draw.

If you are pulling them left then chances are you are aligned that way or your swing comes over the top (out-to-in) and your clubface ends up pointing left at impact.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with Dave here too.
I too suffered the same as you i switched to a stronger grip and was hitting everthing dead straight left.... Apperantely this is the first step in ridding yourself of the slice from everything i read up about it... what was happening me was i was opening my alignment at setup to compensate for the slice and never thought to close it with the stronger grip.Try closing your setup stance the next time your out to nearly dead square of your target and see how you get on with the stronger grip if your still pulling it left just drop your right leg back slightly (roughly in line with the ball of your left foot this should sort you) i now play with a slight fade i think this is my natural shape so i dont tinker with it anymore and im playing much better

Yes, I always used to aim down the left hand side expecting a slice/fade shot and since improving my grip and continuing to work on my path, I am now aiming down the middle.

My opinion is that once you believe the ball is not going to fade off right at the end and start trusting your ability to get the face square, then you can work on your path...i.e. trying to hit the ball straight or even feel it going right of target maybe encouraging a draw-type shot. If the grip is weak and the face never gets square, it's going to be tough to try and hit from in-out...

Many years ago, my pro gave me the "challenge" of taking a really strong grip, aggressively extending my arms out to the target after impact and pretty soon I was hitting stronger and further and definitely NOT staring left.

It's a cause and effect thing really. In the way that with a weak grip you don't trust hitting a draw path, with a strong grip you can soon lose the nasty pull path. That's what I believe.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the simple answer is book a 30 minute lesson and let your pro check it out. That way you can be sure the set up is correct and the hands are releasing properly as it sounds as if you are getting over active with your hands and closing them through impact to produce the big pull hooks.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A lot will depend on how much you want to improve in the long run, and how much time you actually spend on the course.

I don't get to spend enough time actually playing, so I'm not willing to chuck my old swing away for the next 9 months ++, and make a total change, and post terrible scores for the rest of the year.

But I'll happily spend the next two years working on small things one at a time to gradually improve it, as long as I can still score reasonably in the meantime.

So if you only get out occasionally, then you have to decide. By changing your grip that much, you are bringing both sides of the course into play. With a fade, you can pretty much keep out of trouble - you know you wont draw/hook it, so if you aim down the left hand side of the fairway, a straight one keeps you in play, and a fade leaves you in position A.

But by changing you'll hit some down the middle, but you'll also pull some, even maybe draw/hook some, and I'll bet the odd one will still fade - only now it may be a slice - IE you'll hit trouble both sides of the fairway.

Most top players hit a draw. If you feel you're not long enough off the tee, then a draw will help you gain distance. But as Lee Trevino said : you can't talk to a draw, but a fade will listen to you.

Monty done alright over his career with a fade, I suppose.

So no straight answer, but hopefully that's something to think about.

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the advice everyone.I am 33 years old and I try and play twice a week weather permiting. I have been playing for just over a year and I am motivated to improve. I think I need to go the range and work on a strong and weak grip.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't go too strong.

And if you make your left hand grip stronger, make sure your right hand is similarly strong - a weak right hand grip will undo all the good you're achieving

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't go too strong.

And if you make your left hand grip stronger, make sure your right hand is similarly strong - a weak right hand grip will undo all the good you're achieving

Yes, I like to see a balanced grip. I play with the slightest of strong left hand grip and make sure the right matches. I see a lot of not-so-good golfers at mine playing with weak left hand and crazy-strong right hands.

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Just a quick update on my game since changing my grip, it seems to have gone downhill, hit a 99 and 102 in my last few games. But I am going to stick with my new grip. I seem to be hooking/drawing the ball. I need to find the right balance of weak and stong.