WD40 on forged irons ?? Good or bad

BlueEagle

Visit site
Have just purchased a set of mizuno forged irons and I obviously want to keep them in great condition with no rust etc... I have heard once you clean and dry heads to wipe over with wd40 to help prevent rust but then I read that wd40 attacks the chrome ?
anyone use wd40 and had issues or have any other tips to help

thanks

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive noticed my MP4 only have to see moisture and they start to get rust spots. none of the forged Mizuno irons i had before have done this.

i just make sure i dry the head properly after each round and give a quick rub with a wire brush when the spots appear.

never used WD40 though.

might be worth trying GT85 which is bike lube, used that on chrome over the years and never had any issues, not golf clubs mind.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have just purchased a set of mizuno forged irons and I obviously want to keep them in great condition with no rust etc... I have heard once you clean and dry heads to wipe over with wd40 to help prevent rust but then I read that wd40 attacks the chrome ?
anyone use wd40 and had issues or have any other tips to help

thanks

have you considered headcovers? little neoprene ones with a window in?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my friend keeps a bottle of stainless steel cleaner on a retractable lanyard attached to his bag. he said it contains a little oil to prevent rust. however, he was warned that putting oil on the face of a club during a round is in breach of the rules.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had my MP-4s for over a year now and have no rust what so ever and I've been known to play on very wet days 🤔. The KBS shafts though are a different story!

U

User62651

You can do much better than WD40, Parker Hale Young's 303 gun oil is what you want, designed to clean expensive shotgun and rifle barrels etc of residues it is perfect for forged irons as a rust proofer. Not expensive and you can get it in any field sports shop or amazon. The smell of it is really really nice too unusually.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can do much better than WD40, Parker Hale Young's 303 gun oil is what you want, designed to clean expensive shotgun and rifle barrels etc of residues it is perfect for forged irons as a rust proofer. Not expensive and you can get it in any field sports shop or amazon. The smell of it is really really nice too unusually.

This 100%. Gun oil is great for shafts and heads. Swear by it. (as Maxfli point out too, smells too good for something designed for weapons)
I'd avoid WD40 at all costs (if only because of the bloody stink of it)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This 100%. Gun oil is great for shafts and heads. Swear by it. (as Maxfli point out too, smells too good for something designed for weapons)
I'd avoid WD40 at all costs (if only because of the bloody stink of it)

ACF-50.

It's the best there is. Simple.

Agree with either ACF-50 or gun oil over WD-40.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hardly comparative though; a direct nuclear strike wouldn't damage a Ping iron, so water's never going to be a problem, is it?
Stop spoiling my fun with your humorous interaction ;)

Just for the record, I own no pings & I think head covers are the work of the devil.
Irons should look played with and protecting them for resale is missing the point IMO.

I'm going to buy some forged blades & run them over with my car so I look like a playa!!! :)

U

User62651

Stop spoiling my fun with your humorous interaction ;)

Just for the record, I own no pings & I think head covers are the work of the devil.
Irons should look played with and protecting them for resale is missing the point IMO.

I'm going to buy some forged blades & run them over with my car so I look like a playa!!! :)

Just let your 10 yo son take one outside without asking and swish it back and fore on concrete paving slabs, that'll create the used look:mad: - have had to dremmel buff all the nicks down........:confused: