Waterproofs - any advice?

Worsey

Hacker
Visit site
Evening all

Am playing Celtic Manor & Forest of Arden first weekend in Oct and want some new waterproofs (esp after weekend just gone, Nike Stormfit couldn't take eight holes of incessant rain and gave it up in water repellant stakes) so I can enjoy the four rounds whatever mother nature throws at me.

Looking at a ProQuip Tourflex suit, or going the whole hog (at double the price mind) and getting a Galvin Green Almer jacket and Alf trousers.

Anyone got a view on either? Is the GG worth paying double the money for particularly?

Cheers
Lee

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 9 year old Proquip Ultimate jacket,bit tired looking now,and only used mid winter,or for walking the dog in.
Its as waterproof now,as the day i bought it.

mattcross1977

Club Champion
Visit site
Evening all

Am playing Celtic Manor & Forest of Arden first weekend in Oct and want some new waterproofs (esp after weekend just gone, Nike Stormfit couldn't take eight holes of incessant rain and gave it up in water repellant stakes) so I can enjoy the four rounds whatever mother nature throws at me.

Looking at a ProQuip Tourflex suit, or going the whole hog (at double the price mind) and getting a Galvin Green Almer jacket and Alf trousers.

Anyone got a view on either? Is the GG worth paying double the money for particularly?

Cheers
Lee

Hi Lee

I have a full set of Galvin Green's - IMO you just can't go wrong with them. Customer service is excellent also I believe god forbid you need to use it.

Thanks Matt

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try using the search function and do a search as there seems to be a question about this very thing every week, should throw up enough answers for you.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have tried loads of different makes and types - and IMHO the best of the lot by a long way is any Goretex product.

I love the Paclite material - this allows you to layer if you need to - but you do pay premium for the quality.

Also people rave about Galvin Green (as do I) but I would settle with anything that is comfie free and goretex.

T

thecraw

I played yesterday and NOTHING would have kept you dry, absolutely NOTHING.

It was that wild that even my Cross jacket was letting in, whether it was just a build up from the constant stream running down the back of my neck I was soaked to the skin.

I have a full set of Galvin Green's - IMO you just can't go wrong with them. Customer service is excellent also I believe god forbid you need to use it.

You've clearly never had any dealings with them. I sent two jackets back in a month and they told me I was perspiring too much and there jacket was perfect. A trip too WL Gore in Livingstone to independantly test it later GG were eating humble pie at their poor workmanship.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would only by goretex waterproofs, but yesterdays weather was very windy and sideways rain, jacket kept me dry 100% trousers i was wet. both are GG. as the craw says yesterday was the worst ive ever played in and wouldnt exspect any to keep me totally dry. there were about 15 of us out playing and all of were wet either top or bottom. all with various brands, probably buy what you can afford. the americam walker cup manager tested their gear in a shower at home :eek:

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i would only by goretex waterproofs, but yesterdays weather was very windy and sideways rain, jacket kept me dry 100% trousers i was wet. both are GG. as the craw says yesterday was the worst ive ever played in and wouldnt exspect any to keep me totally dry. there were about 15 of us out playing and all of were wet either top or bottom. all with various brands, probably buy what you can afford. the americam walker cup manager tested their gear in a shower at home :eek:

That's after their Ryder Cup team shot themselves in the non-waterproof foot...

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
in market myself for a full set now.. was out yesterday playing in dunfanaghy golf club (North Donegal) and let me tell you dont get any cover from the wind and rain there LOL.. We played in rain for 4 hours never been as wet, to windy for the brollies and my sunderland water proof hat was no good as i could not keep it on my head with the wind.. i think we had hailstones for 15/20mins as well to sum it up lol

anyways...

Like the Galvin Green range myself tho really there must be something else as good out there for around 100 quid? when i say as good, i mean something that has goretex

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
in market myself for a full set now.. was out yesterday playing in dunfanaghy golf club (North Donegal) and let me tell you dont get any cover from the wind and rain there LOL..

:eek: :eek: :eek: You were very brave to play there yesterday, absolutely no shelter there. I never crossed the door yesterday.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i bought my "view from" waterproofs from M&S about 10 years ago.

The jacket was fantastic, and teh trousers still are

Jacket now cant repel the heaviest rainfall, because the inside of the shouders has worn away from carrying with a double strap for too long.

I've also ski'd in it (whcih showed it's windprrof), and it's been on a few (easy) walking type holidays

I woudl ahppily buy another if anyone knows who makes them these days ?

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
If your not a slim fit them make sure you try on the Galvin Green waterproofs as they're designed for the slimmer build and certainly didn't fit my ex-prop forward physique....... nuff said really!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had 2 sets of pro quip stuff now, first was a handed down set, 2nd I got new about 2 years ago, both keep me warm and very dry. I use my old set for walking the dog, these must be around 10 years old and still going strong.

All the time I'm playing golf I'd only wear pro quip. Good value for money and lasts well. I think I paid £99 for my lady set discounted in an end of season sale ;)

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site
Pro quip PQlite keeps me nice and dry and they really are dry and light.

Also have the new FJ short sleeve which is fantastic for warmer days when I'm carrying.

Just treated my Callaway rain hat to it's annual proofing

And a new pair of macwets rain gloves.

Rain - bring it on...

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
i've got a galvin green jacket and trousers
they're not cheap but they are quality
played a round in them when it poured down all day
and they kept me bone dry
you get what you pay for!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think with waterproofs it's down to a couple of questions.
1. How often are you going to play in monsoon style rain? For me this is the clincher. It's been twice this year so far. That's how many times I've had the 'proofs on - if I'd paid 3-400 quid for them I'd be wanting to wear them a bit more.. :D :D
2. Price - if you can/want to afford it - fill yer boots.
I think there are cheaper alternatives to the GG/Goretex waterproofs that will do just as good a job for a lot less money.