Waterproof shoes. Myth or fact?

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried Nike ,Stubert, Callaway and none do a second winter preventing water getting in.Got my refund on the Callaway shoes and after several people told me to get Footjoys I thought I'd be on to a winner.Played first round with them yesterday and blow me, damp all around the instep.Bloody give up!!

D

Deleted member 16999

Sealskinz socks, you can stand in puddles in these and your feet are dry, 100% waterproof.
These plus a decent shoe, most shoes that let in water gets in over the top.

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My feet don't sweat walking round a golf course.The rough isn't that long at the minute. I'll try them next weekend and if no improvement they're going back.Is a £75 shoe not going to be fit for purpose and do I have to spend nearer £200 to keep my feet dry?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sealskinz socks, you can stand in puddles in these and your feet are dry, 100% waterproof.

I tried those but found my feet were swimming in sweat by the end of the round. Had to throw away my shoes as well, they were as stinky as hell after water got in.
FJ boots from now on until probably spring for me now, dry and warm feet all winter 👌

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Hit the ball on the fairway it's the only way to keep your feet dry, if you walk in long grass it wets the bottom of your pants and your socks around your ankle and down into your shoe.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FJ boots for me too, wear them and throw them in the garage, polish them once every blue moon they are now into their 4th winter and still look like new.. still with the same studs in too..

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site

This.

Please note - no seals are harmed in the making of these socks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had 2 x FJ, 3 x Stuburt fail on me in the last 3 years. I'm now on a pair of Puma's with a 2yr warantee. Not 100% sure about them either so far. All a bit disappointing. My first pair of FJ lasted 3 yrs and were brilliant. Never had a pair as good as them since. I may also try a pair of the Sealskinz socks to see if they work for me.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In the nineties I had a pair of rubber golf shoes. They were slip-ons with a lace for show. Comfortable and never ever had wet feet, even from the long grass.
Only reason I binned them after many years was because the metal spikes wore right down an rusted in the screw holes.
Why don't they make them any more?
Silly question I suppose.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am starting to think that the days of the waterproof golf shoe are fast disappearing. This seems to have happened as golf shoes changed from being a practical piece of footwear as its predominate function into a fashion item. Add to the fact that they are designed for a global market where much less golf is played in the rain and you have the current batch of shoes that are nowhere near as waterproof as they used to be.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like this comment, was awake all night thinking of the poor seals.
I love my w/proof socks, use them more for rough walking with my dogs.
For golf I always have a thin pair of wool socks on first.
Works a treat.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hit the ball on the fairway it's the only way to keep your feet dry, if you walk in long grass it wets the bottom of your pants and your socks around your ankle and down into your shoe.

Water seems to get in through the lace holes when you walk in deep wet rough (looking for other players' balls of course!). Once up on a time golf shoes used to come with frilly leather kilties which helped stop this. Such is progress! :(

Last edited: