Water in bunkers.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know if your ball is in it you get relief at the nearest point but if it's at the edge and you have to stand in a rather large puddle do you get any kind of relief? Same question for the fairway as well?

Been tough in bunkers today as if they didnt have a puddle in they was far from fluffy real hard and compact

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know if your ball is in it you get relief at the nearest point but if it's at the edge and you have to stand in a rather large puddle do you get any kind of relief? Same question for the fairway as well?

interference includes you stance in both cases.

as to relief, if you are in a bunker then you find the nearest point of full relief not nearer the hole but still in the bunker - if there isn't one you get the additional option of 'least wet/deep' not nearer the hole still in the bunker........if you still can't find anywhere to play you can drop back outside the bunker keeping the original position of the ball in line with the flag for a penalty of 1 shot.

on the fairway you just find the nearest point of full relief, partial relief is not permitted, and drop within 1 club length etc

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
After playing on Friday and was shocked to see a few guys trying to claim nearest point of relief as basically the nearest point they got a good lie. This isn't the case. The nearest point of relief may actually take you into the rough or even into a bush and is well defined within the rules.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
The claiming of "nicest point of relief as opposed to closest point of relief" ... amazing how many people think that is their right.

Re relief from water.
If you are claiming relief cos your feet are getting wet, Have a good look at your options BEFORE marking and llifting your ball.
In a soggy bunker, you might find that you drop the ball - not closer to the pin - and find that yes, your feet are in the dry but your ball has now plugged in soogy sand, but not soggy enough to claim relief from...

EddyP

Visit site
I have always wondered how to play from a wet puddle bunker. I can now play the ball properly. Though probably will end up in some trees somewhere on my course!

Thanks to all who commented! Really helpful.