Watching Golf

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

As a beginner golfer I am toying wit the idea of actually watching some proper golf. Living in West London we aren't that far away from Wentworth (actually living at the Waterloo-Addlestone line), and the BMW PGA Championships are there over the Easter Weekend.

Do people think it is worth going? What would people suggest, is it essential to go on a Saturday or Sunday after the cut, or are the Thursday or Wednesday session equivalent worth it? It's good Friday, so no need to book holidays there.

Cheers,
larmen

ps: probably coming with questions regarding etiquette nearer the event

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There's nothing better than watching live golf to pick up the tempo of the pros' swings. Personally, I'd go on the first day when there are more players & less spectators, it's much easier to see then. I like to park myself behind one of the tees, in the front row. Par threes are particularly good. It's also good to follow a match all the way round, you get a much better idea of the players' course management and learn a lot. I once followed Ken Brown plus two others round Fulford. He wasn't playing too well and yet he had the best score of the three. The way he scrambled & recovered was an education.

Practice days are good too. You can get really close to the players & take photographs. It does tend to be slow at times, mind you, when they try putts from various places on the greens, bunkers etc.

You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi,

As a beginner golfer I am toying wit the idea of actually watching some proper golf. Living in West London we aren't that far away from Wentworth (actually living at the Waterloo-Addlestone line), and the BMW PGA Championships are there over the Easter Weekend.

Do people think it is worth going? What would people suggest, is it essential to go on a Saturday or Sunday after the cut, or are the Thursday or Wednesday session equivalent worth it? It's good Friday, so no need to book holidays there.

Cheers,
larmen

Go to Walton Heath the day after the PGA event instead. It has the US Open qualifier, 36 holes over both courses with some top pro's playing. As it's only 36 holes you see some really attacking golf.

Plus it's free.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Hi,

Cheers,
larmen

Go along and try it out, what you got to lose? As for etiquette don't wear any golf gear as you will look like a sad wannabe player. And don't shout when a player is taking a shot. Other than that do what you want, you've paid to get in there, you're doing them the favour, not the other way round. ;)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Larmen,

The PGA 's not on easter weekend by the way, its the last weekend in May, so the Friday isnt Good Friday!

We went last year on the Friday and loved it. Great to see the pro's up close. We followed the Jiminez group for a while. It is a busy tournament, even during the first and second round but unless you are following the main groups you still get a great view.

We're thinking of going on the Saturday this year, purely cos getting up and back from Southampton is a pain with rush hour traffic at either end of the day.

Also bear in mind that there's the British Masters at The Grove in Hertfordshire in October and, in all probability, the Senior Masters at Woburn which is normally early September.

All in all its a great day out and well worth it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I've only been to one event (Open at Lythm) we went on the Friday as we didn't want to miss any of the big names if they didn't make the cut.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Take some binoculars,I didn't but wish I did.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Go along and try it out, what you got to lose? As for etiquette don't wear any golf gear as you will look like a sad wannabe player. And don't shout when a player is taking a shot. Other than that do what you want, you've paid to get in there, you're doing them the favour, not the other way round. ;)

What! The majority of spectators will be golfers & the majority will be wearing golf gear. That's what we do.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The PGA 's not on easter weekend by the way, its the last weekend in May, so the Friday isnt Good Friday!
Oops, seen that Monday was free, so I thought it must be Easter Monday and have drawn a good Friday into my calendar ;-)

Going to buy some Friday tickets anyway. Cheers everyone.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You should at least wear golf shoes, because you will be walking on quite slippery grass, and wouldn't want to go base over apex. Also take waterproofs and an umbrella if there is any chance of rain. A pair of binoculars is also useful to identify players at some distance. :)

Last edited:

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi,

Cheers,
larmen

I invite you to come and watch me for free. I play every morning , weather permitting. You will learn absolutely nothing, but rest assured, you will have great laugh, and have the opportunity to buy me a beer a afterwards.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Cheers,
larmen

Definitely go. I usually go on Thursday or Friday. Never been at the weekend. The practice day is good too, smaller crowds and the players a bit more relaxed.

Etiquette is pretty easy. Stand still and quietly when near a player playing and no mobile phones or cameras during the tournament rounds.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to watch the Open a few years back and it was awesome.
Its just incredible to see these guys hit balls.

Make sure you scream get in the hole after every shot to make yourself look like a regular event attendee

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definitely go. I usually go on Thursday or Friday. Never been at the weekend. The practice day is good too, smaller crowds and the players a bit more relaxed.

Etiquette is pretty easy. Stand still and quietly when near a player playing and no mobile phones or cameras during the tournament rounds.

Exactly this. I will never go on the weekend again, you walk round for ages and see about 10 shots.

Dont understand people wearing golf gear either, Golf shoes yes, but trousers and polo shirt? no.

Grown men walking round in Rickie Fowler Gear. :confused: someone have a word

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Go to Walton Heath the day after the PGA event instead. It has the US Open qualifier, 36 holes over both courses with some top pro's playing. As it's only 36 holes you see some really attacking golf.

Plus it's free.

I would recommend this as your first time watching golf plus there are no ropes so you can get really close to both player and caddy

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You get much more idea of just how far good pro golfers (even the women) can hit the ball than you do watching it on TV! :)

Watching live also made me appreciate just how tight the courses are as well. I'd watched the PGA and the Matchplay at Wentworth on tv for years but it wasnt until the first time i went to watch it in person that i realised how narrow some of the fairways are on the west course. All of which makes you marvel at the players' abilities to keep striping it down the middle.

And also the size of some of the players. Saw Thomas Bjorn playing Retief Goosen in the Matchplay about 10 years ago and they were enormous! Built like a couple of rugby players!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Plus it's free.
Totally agree. You will be able to get up right beside the players. No ropes so much better viewing.