Warranty

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife has signed paperwork to buy a second hand car from aVauxhall dealership c/w 2 year warranty and a "diamond brite " paint cover. She did this yesterday and has decided today she doesn't want these two add ons. Can she cancel them and just purchase the car? I think she can but she's not so sure.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most car enthusiasts think these coatings are a waste of money and a nice and easy way for dealers to rip people off. They grossly over-charge for them.

How old is the car? Does it not come with any manufacturer warranty? There are plenty warranties available from after market providers.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My wife has signed paperwork to buy a second hand car from a Vauxhall dealership c/w 2 year warranty and a "diamond brite " paint cover. She did this yesterday and has decided today she doesn't want these two add ons. Can she cancel them and just purchase the car? I think she can but she's not so sure.

No problem. Just make sure she does it quickly as you don't want the "oh I'm sorry we have already applied the diamondbrite" trick.
Diamondbrite is not applied until the car gets it's final valet prior to delivery, so as long as she hadn't planned to pick the car up today they'll be lying through their teeth.
The salesman concerned will try to talk her into keeping them because he's just earned some extra commission, but stick to your guns.
Be careful of "outside" warranties. Some aren't worth the paper they are written on, and it can be hassle trying to get a repair carried out at a large dealership if they have never dealt with that particular warranty company before.
It can take ages for them to get paid for their work so it could mean your car is off the road for a lot longer than it would have been had you stayed with the manufacturers warranty.

Posted by one of the many dealers out there not trying to "rip you off".
Ken got the wrong end of the stick where RTI/GAP was concerned too.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Posted by one of the many dealers out there not trying to "rip you off".
Ken got the wrong end of the stick where RTI/GAP was concerned too.

Yes, once I found out that GAP can be purchased for a fraction of the price that a dealer charges I decided it might be worth having ;)