Volunteering

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having turned 50 last weekend, I have just signed up with Age UK to do home visits in my local community, subject to the application process being successful, I'll be spendng 1 hour a week drinking coffee with some poor soul.

Any of you good folk on here done anything similar?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having turned 50 last weekend, I have just signed up with Age UK to do home visits in my local community, subject to the application process being successful, I'll be spendng 1 hour a week drinking coffee with some poor soul.

For the last few years i have done the accounts and provided financial advice to a couple of local charities. one of them now doesnt need my help anymore and the other are almost there (albeit they can always contact me if needed), will look to do something similar when we relocate south.

https://do-it.org/ is an excellent resource if looking for somewhere to help

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

No, but you might just have prompted me to do something similar.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife and I set up our own charitable trust offering support (financial and advice) to parents of children diagnosed with ASD about 3 years back.

Do a bit of fundraising but plan to ramp it up next year as a lot been financed "in house" until now which isn't sustainable.

Spend a lot of time visiting families, or having families visit us, to go through the myriad issues around education (and therapy available/possible therein), potential home therapy programmes etc etc. Not as much as I could (should?) but do have our own lives too.

Parents of ASD children really have very few sources of information readily available to them, particularly immediately post-diagnosis, and it's disgusting.

Some of the incredible NW lads on here have funded a couple of iPads loaded with (expensive) ASD specific apps for local kids over the years on trips and through side bets they have amongst themselves etc and they've no idea how big a difference it makes or how much it's appreciated :thup:

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My wife and I set up our own charitable trust offering support (financial and advice) to parents of children diagnosed with ASD about 3 years back.

Do a bit of fundraising but plan to ramp it up next year as a lot been financed "in house" until now which isn't sustainable.

Spend a lot of time visiting families, or having families visit us, to go through the myriad issues around education (and therapy available/possible therein), potential home therapy programmes etc etc. Not as much as I could (should?) but do have our own lives too.

Parents of ASD children really have very few sources of information readily available to them, particularly immediately post-diagnosis, and it's disgusting.

Some of the incredible NW lads on here have funded a couple of iPads loaded with (expensive) ASD specific apps for local kids over the years on trips and through side bets they have amongst themselves etc and they've no idea how big a difference it makes or how much it's appreciated :thup:

Iain, next year why dont you get all the NW lads to sign up to fantasy footy (as we're all footy fans), tenner in each. Winner gets summat, rest goes to your charity.

You may also get some of the other forummers in, as well. I dont know how to set a league up, but I can find out - might raise a few hundred?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Iain, next year why dont you get all the NW lads to sign up to fantasy footy (as we're all footy fans), tenner in each. Winner gets summat, rest goes to your charity.

You may also get some of the other forummers in, as well. I dont know how to set a league up, but I can find out - might raise a few hundred?

I’d be up for this. About time us southerners won a forum comp.....

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I be a Scout Leader.

When I tell people , it’s amazing how many say “dyb dyb dob “
(Do your best/ do our best) even though that went out in 1965.

Scouting is great, but we do need more leaders, no experience necessary👍

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In recent years my wife and I helped with the setting up of our village community shop.
I did a year of sorting the early Sunday morning papers. :(

Also did stuff for local junior golf development and Breakthrough Breast Cancer charity.

Help out with fundraising and various events with the local village group.

All on the back burner now so I can concentrate on my wife recovering from her recent problems.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I work with a number of charities, some as one off projects, others on a more long term basis. All this ends the end of Jan when we retire to Spain. However, mid Feb I start 2hrs a day for a charity there.

Also looking at a driving job for another charity. A win-win... I get to drive around southern Spain with the fuel costs covered, and the charity gets its deliveries done labour free.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Great idea, I'd be up for joining that.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doff my cap to anyone that gives up their own time, expertise for the benefit of others! Sounds a poor excuse, but i simply do not have enough hours in the day for my own life, let alone anyone outside of my family! I do my bit when the collection pot is jingling!

2 years ago my brother had recently separated from his wife, so he spent Xmas at the Sally Army helping dish out Xmas dinner!

Well done all, its a shame in today's modern society, that these offers of help are needed, but bravo all of you!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I be a Scout Leader.

When I tell people , it’s amazing how many say “dyb dyb dob “
(Do your best/ do our best) even though that went out in 1965.

Scouting is great, but we do need more leaders, no experience necessary👍

Please tell me you don't give them golf lessons 😂

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've done voluntary work for a local agricultural society, (a charity helping local farmers), for over twenty years and, a few years ago, was presented with The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service ............... which was awesome.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Done some work with the juniors at the club in the past, have helped my local scout troop, and did a bit for the hospice that looked after both mum and dad in their final days. It is something I enjoyed and is something I'd consider in the future but if anyone has any spare time, it's a fulfilling to do, whatever it is you decide to do. Giving your own time means a lot to those that don't have much