VOIP phonecalls

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting FTTP broadband installed next week and in the blurb they mention VOIP phonecalling.
Do you need any special equipment to be able to use this ?
Will potential mean I could stop the BT line rental when the contract ends later this year, very rarely use landline these days so VOIP would be a backup to the mobile.

TIA.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting FTTP broadband installed next week and in the blurb they mention VOIP phonecalling.
Do you need any special equipment to be able to use this ?
Will potential mean I could stop the BT line rental when the contract ends later this year, very rarely use landline these days so VOIP would be a backup to the mobile.

TIA.
Does your broadband not need a line rental still though? Not 100% but I don't think you can escape. What you don't do is pay for two lines, FTTP and a separate phone line, they become one.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think I've posted a couple of times before, I've not paid line rental for 8 years.
I did need to sign up to a voip provider, who kept the old landline number for us and they supplied a widget that plugs into the router for your regular phone to plug in to. Hope that helps.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I've posted a couple of times before, I've not paid line rental for 8 years.
I did need to sign up to a voip provider, who kept the old landline number for us and they supplied a widget that plugs into the router for your regular phone to plug in to. Hope that helps.

Who did you sign up to ?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
We just cancelled the landline altogether when we moved to Virgin, we both have mobile phones so dont see the point in a part time home bound solution. :)