very short chips

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Technique and club selection tips wanted for shots just off the green but with no chance to putt. Also any tips on chipping from rough /heavier lies. I.e. 4ft off green and flag 4ft on green.

I have 2 problem, either decelerating into the ball and getting poor contact or just hitting it too far. I've tried playing these shots with my pw, lob wedge and even my 9 iron.

On the plus side handicap is falling quite consistently now.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find gripping down and holding a wedge like a putter helps with short chips.Take an easy straight back and through stroke and the loft should do it's job.Perfect when next to the green!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
A great tip I was taught was to use the toe of the club and hold the club upright so the heel doesn't dig in during the swing.
It gives a real dead duff/feeling on contact but gets the ball up and rolling nicely. I use this technique with a 9 iron and find it works perfect.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A great tip I was taught was to use the toe of the club and hold the club upright so the heel doesn't dig in during the swing.
It gives a real dead duff/feeling on contact but gets the ball up and rolling nicely. I use this technique with a 9 iron and find it works perfect.

started doing this a bit recently. handy wee shot

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was practising these this morning before my round. Equipped with v-easy and 60 degree MD seve wedge, I was clipping them sweet. It never ceases to amaze me how much swing you can put on a lob wedge or open sand wedge. Out of heavy grass though it's a lottery....if they are "sat up" (i.e. not as low as the mud, but still sitting down in the grass) it's normally safe to whack them and if you go under the ball, they pop up much like a flop. If I'm sure they are down to the mud, I hit down on them and leave the club half buried in the soil.....with no follow through at all basically.

I suppose you can only put your best shot on it, some'll come out good, others, well you could be the other side of the green... :(

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
for the first I would be using an 8 iron, if the shot was a long one maybe a 7 or 6. If a v short roll only then I switch to a putting grip and stroke to remove all possible wrists (and increase my confidence in this) and use the appropriate club to land the ball well clear of the fringe. Practice putting from the fringe with a PW to get the feel and understanding of this.

from the second situation I am sure that the best option isn't to try to get close! I make a concious decision as to whether to err long left, centre or right for the putt back and then take a club that will enable me to make a positive swing - it's amazing how often I can sink a 10ft putt back when I have convinced myself to leave it; and also how often it isn't a 10ft putt that I leave (because I haven't tried too hard to get cute with the pitch)