Vari-focal Glasses

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Any other wearers on here?

Had a lesson today and identified that my head needed to be more upright, something I had noticed in the past, as it was constraining my shoulder turn, shortening my backswing.

Straight away I knew it was at least in part to my specs, as lifting my chin meant I was looking through the bottom of my glasses - the reading part, so the ball went marginally out of focus. Keeping my chin down meant view of the ball stayed sharp. Have had vari-focals for a couple years now.

Therefore think I might need to go back to single visions for golf, or contacts, although with the latter would need to carry reading glasses as contacts make reading (scorecard etc) worse than without anything (sign of old age I guess!).

Anyone else come across a similar problem?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, tried to wear them and after one swing of the club I went back to get single vision. I keep them in my bag all the time now, I just keep forgetting to switch back after the game.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I wear varifocals & have never had any problem with them. There's not a huge difference between my reading & distance prescriptions so perhaps that's the reason I get on so well with them. When I first started playing in spectacles it took me a good 5 minutes to get used to them.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a dodgy left eye and have a clear lens for 'balance only' against my right eye which has a varifocal lens.

No real issues except for when I get a new prescription and when that happens (every couple of years) then maybe a hole or two to adjust. Only obvious irritating problem wearing specs in general, is when it rains of course - in particular thick heavy drizzle is the worst.

Would love to try contacts by my left eye needs a corneal graft and I'm a bit too squeamish to have it done.

dgparry

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah, tried to wear them and after one swing of the club I went back to get single vision. I keep them in my bag all the time now, I just keep forgetting to switch back after the game.

Same here - Optician did say a lot of her customers that golf have had a pair made for play. Anyone tried bi-focals, i struggle seeing the scorecard when wearing my made for play pair!!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have worn variofocals for over 15 years now and the only problem I had was with putting. Looking out of the top of my glasses a horizontal line actually looks as if it bows down and from the bottom of the lens it bows up. Once I got used to that it was fine.
There are different qualities of variofocal lenses, the best of which have less distortion between the distance/near portion of the lens, however they are the most expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wear vari-focal glasses but such is the 'shift' when looking 'under' the frame when putting and addressing the ball that it puts me off and so I wear single vision contact lenses when playing.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wear vari-focals and bought a couple of new pairs last year (jeez the price!!).
I explained my problem with trying to play golf in them (mainly putting) and had one pair made up with deeper lenses, where the lens transition is a bit lower than usual.
These eliminate the problem and this pair stay permanently in my bag.
Works for me. But costly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It was when I started to need vari-focals that I decided to have my eyes lasered- that was my best move ever

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I normally wear varifocals for everyday life, but find it hard to play golf in them, because the ball appears to move if my head moves at all during the swing. This is not good for a sport which depends on hand-eye coordination! Also find it harder to read putts wearing them. I therefore either wear plain distance glasses or contact lenses for playing golf. I am long sighted btw, but can just about read the score card or the rule book outdoors in bright light wearing them. I am always jealous of short sighted folk, who can just lift their specs up to read things! Even more jealous of young people with perfect eye sight! :(

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup I wear vari focal and don't have any problems, I did have a go at contact lenses and thought sod that after about 2 mins. I tried the contact route because of glasses issues when playing in wet etc.
Re varifocals, as has been mentioned Jeez there not cheap but. The first pair I had were from ASDA. Cheap and the lenses were cheap. The vision in them is not the best. Go to a better opticians and you will get a better lens, but will have to pay, but also mention that you req them for golf. Out course had an opticians turn up last year with re to glasses wearing golfers.
Love me glasses and they make me look slim as well 😁, enhance me facial fuzz so Alls well.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes - and cannot wear them to play golf! I have a pair of single vision specs that I wear when playing.

The biggest challenge then is seeing anything clearly on my DMD and filling out the score card!!! The main criteria when buying the DMD was that the screen had to be readable without varifocuals. That was one of the reasons for selecting the Skycaddie with the nice big, clear numbers....

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals except for when playing sport, then I use distance contact lenses. I can manage the scorecard fine but struggle to read small print (like the local rules printed on the back of the card). Apart from that small issue the contacts are so much better, no problems when it's raining, no mis-reading of greens (well not owing to visual problems anyway!) and so much better when cycling or out on the bike.

D

Deleted member 18588

Find varifocal glasses impossible to wear when playing so I use varifocal contacts (monthly disposables) for golf and most of my non-golfing time.

Didn't think such things existed but my opthalmologist soon corrected me on that one.