Utility Clubs

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I own one of those Perfect Clubs (as seen on TV) and find I am using it to replace several irons that I am not comfortable with as a relative newcomer to the game and playing off 25. I can comfortably adjust to hit it between 100-180Yds and it is easy to use around the green. However I sometimes feel that I am not playing the game in it's true spirit. What do others think :D

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Hey Pete, it's legal so use it.. it doesn't matter what club you use, if you play a good round, and say win a stableford competition, it's unlikely you will hear, "yeah but he used one of those perfect clubs"...

No doubt at some stage or other you will go off the boil with your perfect club and start experimenting with your irons anyway, so until then,enjoy, especially if you can get 180 yards out of it!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I completely see where you are coming from Pete. I can’t help but feel that the introduction of utilities, 60 degree wedges, broomhandles and huge headed drivers are taking us further and further from the purity of golf.

Then again anything that helps the amateur golfer enjoy the game more can only be a good thing! Would different equipment rules for amateurs and pro’s be worth considering?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
For the mid to high handicapper the development of utility clubs is a godsend. I can remember the first time I hit one instead of a three iron on a long par-3 a few years ago. I was amazed. I think any clubs that can help in this way should be welcomed. The pros are at it too don't forget - look how much has been spent on R&D for golf equipment over the last ten years. I can't comment on broomhandled putters though as I've never tried one. I personally don't like the idea of them but if they work for certain players then I don't have a problem with that.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Paul06 has hit the nail on the head - at some point the purity of the game has to be preserved...maybe just for the pros, I don't know.

I mean now you can get a full set of utility clubs and never have to go near an iron - that can't be right, can it?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont know what everyone is getting so excited about... rescue clubs are just the modern interpretation of the old clubs like baffys or on a more modern level a 5 or 7 wood

the game is hard enough without making everyone play with blades and tiny wooden drivers

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
dont apologise blindpete! this is an importnat issue

the game is supposed to be fun so why not make it easier for newcomers and game improvers to get better sooner and also for older players to be able to stay with the game longer.

So, heres the test - to all the purists out there I ask you the following question...

Would you prefer to wait behind a fourball of newcomers taking 5plus hours to struggle round the course or would you rather they played more speedily becuase they hit less shots and spent less time looking for wayward shots?

answers please!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would you prefer to wait behind a fourball of newcomers taking 5plus hours to struggle round the course or would you rather they played more speedily because they hit less shots and spent less time looking for wayward shots?

Come on- Just because some one has a utility doesn't mean they will improve by ten shots and will play a round half an hour quicker.

Aren't we over estimating the impact of modern technology?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Also once you give a load of choppers some utilities and they improve by a couple of shots they are likely to start thinking they are Arnold Palmer and will take an extra hour as they line-up 3-footers as though they were playing at Augusta in a wind!!

I'll stick to the hickory shafted 2-iron...a true golfer's club!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well said Trueblue. One of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I've ever had was at Nairn a few years back. I didn't have my kit with me so I cobbled together some stuff from my dad's garage. A set of TP19 blades, old Ryder wooden headed 1 and 3 woods and a bladed putter - all put together in an old leather bag. It was great fun to navigate round using old equipment and I don't think I'd have scored much better using modern gear.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
It would be well said if it is true-do you really use a wooden shafted 2-iron TrueBlue? Are you not a convert to utility clubs?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a wooden shafted two iron is pushing it a bit even for the most puritanical golfing snob. But, there's nothing to compare with flushing a three iron off a tight links lie.

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Come on MacMachattie, did you really play with a wooden driver and 3 wood? You must be very good if you can flush a 3 iron!

I agree that a utility club certainly won't change a poor golfer into a good golfer but I do think we should all have one in our bags to make that very difficult shot just a little bit easier.

Visit site
I have the original TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 degrees and it's been great for my game especially on long approaches - its about 3 years old, thinking of treating myself to an upgrade. I had a look at the TaylorMade rescue dual but thought it sat very closed and was worried about hooking it

anyone got any suggestions for something which not too much offset?

thanks

Pete

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just changed my rescue from the TM rescue mid because of the same reason - too much offset

now using the new titleist 585 - really impressed with it and it looks 5 wood-ish with v little offeset

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I've got an original Rescue as well and I love it, but I’ve also got an old big bertha three wood-perhaps I’m behind the times with my woods but im used to them and am yet to hit anything better- I think there is a lot to be said for finding a club you’re comfortable with and sticking to it!!!