Using the green to clean your ball

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was picked up on this when I played last week by my playing partner. I had a bit of earth on the ball and as I went down to mark it I rubbed the ball on the green to clean it off.

Totally innocently I must add with absolutely no intention of testing the surface to gain an advantage. What possible advantage I thought could be had at my level by doing that? Anyway I accepted the 2 shot pen with the intention of checking at the end before I signed my card. As it happened I had a poor day on the course so signed it anyway.

But still unsure of the rule I looked into it. I would of been OK after all but lesson learnt wont be doing it again.

Q. May a player clean his ball by rubbing it on the putting green?
A. Yes, provided the act is not for the purpose of testing the surface of the putting green. It is recommended that a ball be cleaned in other ways to eliminate any question as to the player’s intentions.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was picked up on this when I played last week by my playing partner. ...... I accepted the 2 shot pen with the intention of checking at the end before I signed my card. As it happened I had a poor day on the course so signed it anyway.

Who on earth were you playing with?!?!?! Was it the open final and I've missed on TV??

I not condoning rule breaking, they are there and we all must follow them, that is part of the game but this is supposed to be a fun hobby and I can't believe anyone would come up with that one.

Well done you for taking it in such good grace but I'm still gobsmacked by this one.

S

G

guest100718

You were ok to wipe the mud off as log as you weren't testing the green.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who on earth were you playing with?!?!?! Was it the open final and I've missed on TV??

I not condoning rule breaking, they are there and we all must follow them, that is part of the game but this is supposed to be a fun hobby and I can't believe anyone would come up with that one.

Well done you for taking it in such good grace but I'm still gobsmacked by this one.

S

I know, I wouldnt have given it a second thought if the boot was on the other foot. Its hard to tell sometimes whether someone is politely educating you or just being a complete arse.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was picked up on this when I played last week by my playing partner. I had a bit of earth on the ball and as I went down to mark it I rubbed the ball on the green to clean it off.

Totally innocently I must add with absolutely no intention of testing the surface to gain an advantage. What possible advantage I thought could be had at my level by doing that? Anyway I accepted the 2 shot pen with the intention of checking at the end before I signed my card. As it happened I had a poor day on the course so signed it anyway.

But still unsure of the rule I looked into it. I would of been OK after all but lesson learnt wont be doing it again.

A. Yes, provided the act is not for the purpose of testing the surface of the putting green. It is recommended that a ball be cleaned in other ways to eliminate any question as to the player’s intentions.

How could you possibly not be certain after reading that! No Penalty!

The proviso (better to do it elsewhere) is only there to stop weirdo myth-creators or rules-twits from doing what your PP (FC?) did! Oh and to stop folk covering the Green with mud! :rolleyes:

You should now point out his error - politely - as he now has 'further evidence' that he was correct - which he wasn't! :rolleyes:

And if he suggests that wiping a lump off, and generally cleaning, a ball, is testing the surface, what would he think of repairing a pitch-mark?! :whistle:

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Blimey! You play in a tough school and close to me too by the look of it.

I'm not a rules guru and would have to say I'd have done what you did too. Agree though with this.

You should now point out his error - politely - as he now has 'further evidence' that he was correct - which he wasn't! :rolleyes:

I hope your opponent doesn't join us!! :eek:

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I hope your opponent doesn't join us!! :eek:

No problem if he does!

I'm happy to have my occasionally Rules glitches corrected. And I would hope others are the same!

It's the continuation and spread of 'myths' that really causes problems imo!

Note that I did suggest 'politely'! Though some folk occasionally seem to need battering over the head with a Pitching Wedge to get the message through! :rolleyes: Some even say they've seen things that have never existed! :whistle:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I see you play in BERKshire :rolleyes:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Note that I did suggest 'politely'! Though some :fore: olk occasionally seem to need battering over the head with a Pitching Wedge to get the message through! :rolleyes: Some even say they've seen things that have never existed! :whistle:

I must pick you up here Foxholer.

I believe that the correct club for braining a rules pedant with is a 64 degree lob wedge. Nice sharp edge you see :fore:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on a meet once and got picked up for giving advice for saying "take your time" to a playing partner who asked if he could carry on and hole his short putt.

Its happened to all of us I am sure. Sometimes its friendly banter sometimes not.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's prob the most broken rule in golf telling someone to take their time

But I have to say I wouldn't like to see someone cleaning their ball using the green surface ? Just walk couple of yards to your towel or use grass away from green

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone tried to give me a penalty for this a couple of years ago. The problem is that the above Q and A is in the decisions. It isn't so obvious in the rule book from what I can remember.

The last time I played with the same guy he tried to give our FC a penalty for putting a club down in a hazard.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What exactly can you learn from rubbing your ball on the green?

If you let go and roll it you may learn something. Not a great deal but you might learn something.

D

Deleted member 15344

If my balls muddy I'll rub it clean on the green. No problem doing that whatsoever

That's a great way to protect the green

Why not rub it away from the surface that is pretty important to the game

D

Deleted member 15344

Lol its amazing what winds you up mate I also wipe my ball on the green
and im going to do it when we play together just to wind you up.:D

Doesn't wind me up just think it's stupid

Got to protect the greens not dump lumps of mud etc from cleaning your ball on to it.

Use a towel or fringe or rough - but the green ? No that's daft.