Using non-mandatory Fairway Mats in Q-Comps or G-Play rounds

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dec.1(a) Status of a competition when the use of fairway mats is obligatory (Revised)
Does this decision only apply to mandatory situations?
So in a 'voluntary' mats situation does that mean the Comps & G-play are NQ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dec.1(a) Status of a competition when the use of fairway mats is obligatory (Revised)

Probably better to have put this in the rules section but in my opinion the two are not necessarily the same and the latter would be a bit like teeing up and makes the area for lift clean and place extend beyond 6" and non qualifying.

When it is mandatory it is a 'level' playing field and means player having to do it even if they already have a perfect or preferred lie for the shot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the LR is not in force the player will be penalised under 9.4b
(and 14.7(?) other views welcomed)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh there is a LR re mats use but its not mandatory.
This published by England Golf. The words imply that the LR is mandatory in applicable areas.

Mats (tees and fairway mats).
Acceptable Scores may be returned in Competitions and in General Play when there is a Local Rule in place requiring the compulsory use of fairway mats to protect the natural surfaces of the course, during the preferred lies period.
Suggested wording for local rule - ‘When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less and a putter is not being used for the stroke, the ball must be lifted, placed on and played from an Astroturf, or similar type, of mat. The mat must be placed as near as possible to where the ball originally lay, and the ball must be placed on the mat. The ball may be cleaned when lifted.’

However, I am told that the LR may be restricted to particular fairways or parts of fairways as does E-3 itself.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand that voluntary mat use is OK for competitions and GP scores, this was from our County Handicap sec.
With of course an LR re how they're used........ that's what I would hope applies everywhere. Rather than just at Clubs that have made mat use mandatory as seems to being suggested.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One would hope that the size of mat is specified by a club.

Without that one could use a mat which is only (say) half an inch square an minimal thickness so effectively a player is teeing the ball up.