Using different ball for different holes. ie par 3 and par 5

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you want to shoot this down straight away, click back before wasting time with a reply.

Has anyone experimented using different balls for different holes? Like maybe a shorter par 3 using a ball they feel gives them more control on the green, to hold it easier.

Then on a long par 5 going to a ball that spins less

As we are not professionals, we are allowed to use different balls through out a round

Just interested as I might start experimenting with this over the winter

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why would you want a ball that spins less?

You won't get much more distance using a lower spinning ball. Even Titleist have stated that there is only a couple of yards difference in distance between all of their balls.

Would you not also need to add this difference in distance to your club selection which will cause more confusion.

In my opinion the main difference between the balls if off the wedges and putters. Which you will need on both the par 5 and par 3 (most likely). Using a lower spinning ball would feel completely different and you would still need it to hold on the green.

And I also would not be good enough to tell the difference in distance is down to the ball- strike will be the main factor here.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve seen various tips suggesting alternating 2 balls on the course during winter, the idea being golf balls react better when warm and keeping one in your pocket and alternating helps, maybe by doing this you may see if using different types make any difference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I certainly would not entertain this. my ball of choice is purely down to how it feels off the putter and chipping. Not found ball that goes any further than the Prov1X (2016) i use anyway.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Have you got some evidence to back this up?

Nope,just good old common sense.
Let’s say using a distance ball on a par 5 gave you a couple of extra yard off the tee.
Surely you would then be at a disadvantage for the rest of the hole?
Just stick to one ball,you really don’t need anything else to be thinking about.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
one of our par 3's has a green that slopes towards you and being 140 yards is very difficult to control the spin. on this hole i always swap to a distance ball such as a srixon distance to minimise the spin. a pro v will land and srew back about 40 feet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't want to try it personally. I subscribe to the theory that whatever ball you use it's best to pick one you like and get used to it so you know how it will behave, and this theory is contradictory to that really.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would you want to swap balls based on the par of the course - it would make zero difference to 99.99% of us

Changing balls to stop back spin :rofl: - heard it all nown

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would you want to swap balls based on the par of the course - it would make zero difference to 99.99% of us

Changing balls to stop back spin :rofl: - heard it all nown

are you saying a srixon z star hit with a pw will spin the same as a srixon distance?

D

Deleted member 15344

are you saying a srixon z star hit with a pw will spin the same as a srixon distance?

If hit by a professional golfer ( top amateur) then yes - your normal club golfer then I believe the difference to be minimal if any and haven’t seen anything to suggest different