Up North

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
There's been a change of plans to my week's holiday up North and we're sadly no longer staying on Fortrose and Rosemarkie - so it looks we'll be based a couple of miles from Strathpeffer and reasonably close to Muir of Ord. I know @patricks148 has played Muir of Ord recently and am looking for opinions from him or anyone else who's played either as to if it's worth playing both.

Also noted some comments online that both of them are hilly, how hilly? - My missus has arthritis in one of her knees and struggles a bit on hills.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played Muir of Ord a few years ago in a three man Texas, and from memory it was a great course. I do recall a par 3 which you played uphill to a blind green, but apart from that I can't remember it being particularly hilly.

Gazrico

Visit site
Muir of Ord is the flatter of the 2 courses and tip there is a blind par 3 uphill about 120 I think really enjoyable course to play

Strathpeffer is very up and down as it’s built in a valley some stunning view‘s . Standing on the first tee it’s a par 4 down hill, walked it the first time but got a buggy after that

There about 10 miles apart and I have played both in the same day

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
MOO does have couple of climbs up and down, one longish walk up hill after the 2nd par 3 and as others have said castle hill,but apart from that its flat. Strath is either up or down, they have struggled the last few years and wasn't in a good state last time I played.F&M is still only 10 miles away from MOO and would still be my choice . Aigas might be worth a look afun 9 hole

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Muir of Ord is a reasonably nice course - but I have no especially outstanding memories of it. On the other hand, Strathpeffer is a bl**dy silly course. Up & down, up & down, darn big hills. (I think I read somewhere that the 1st has the biggest drop from tee to green anywhere in the UK). I'd not choose to go back. If you do, get a buggy.

As Patrick says Fortrose is still near enough - go there. Lovely course & see some dolphins while you're about it.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
As Patrick says Fortrose is still near enough - go there. Lovely course & see some dolphins while you're about it.
Ha ha - the dolphins were why we were staying on Fortrose - we've been a few times - but having had our booking to stay on the course and right by the dolphin viewing area cancelled we're probably staying away this time.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As Patrick said, a couple of hills at the Muir, but a nice course none the less.
Strathpeffer is very up and down.
Fortrose is the best off the 3 and literally a 15 min drive from where you are staying.
Depending on my work situation could take you round Fortrose or Inverness if you wanted.

The Lion

Visit site
Echo much of the above. I really enjoyed both Strathpeffer and Fortrose, for different reasons. Mike the Fortrose Sec is helpful and Lorraine who runs the bar is super cool and provides good craic after.

Muir is on the to-play list and I cannot wait for it this summer!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
As Patrick said, a couple of hills at the Muir, but a nice course none the less.
Strathpeffer is very up and down.
Fortrose is the best off the 3 and literally a 15 min drive from where you are staying.
Depending on my work situation could take you round Fortrose or Inverness if you wanted.
Cheers for the offer Brian but I think we will be at Muir of Ord this time - more a holiday/break than a golf trip.