uneven lies

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
What technique does everyone use for these?

Ball below feet- aim left and allow for the fade or hood clubface/play a draw to counteract the slope?

Ball above feet-aim right and allow for the draw or open clubface/play a fade to counteract the slope?

Any info or tips in relation to ball position, body rotation and trying to remain perpendicular to slope welcome.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apart from allowing a little for the expected ball flight, what I do is...

Ball above feet - grip down on the club
Ball below feet - bend knees a little more

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you get your address/balance/weight correct the slope doesn't affect the ballflight at all.... unless you 'play for the shape'. The ball doesn't know it's sitting on a slope so provided you make the clubface arrive into impact correctly you can shape it anyway you want or play all shots straight.

Normally when faced with a slope I think positively about the shape I want but try not to exaggerate it... eg: play a soft draw or a soft fade.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you get your address/balance/weight correct the slope doesn't affect the ballflight at all.... unless you 'play for the shape'. The ball doesn't know it's sitting on a slope so provided you make the clubface arrive into impact correctly you can shape it anyway you want or play all shots straight.

Normally when faced with a slope I think positively about the shape I want but try not to exaggerate it... eg: play a soft draw or a soft fade.

You dont think the clubface will be closed at address to a ball a foot above your feet?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Are we having one of those arguements again already? :D:D:D LOLOLOL

No I don't.

If you grip 4" down a club is the face suddenly closed? If you're right on the metal is the face closed? It's only closed if you lay it on the slope and then 'play to the clubface' so to speak....

This is how I hit the ball..... pretty straight (hopefully)......

approx 5:00 mins for sidehill lies.....

[video=youtube;uRTSy7px7e8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRTSy7px7e8[/video]

In general I think people expect something radical to happen from a sidehill lie and then start messing around with what 'might' happen followed by not even making a decent swing at they're trying to manipulate too many things... just hit it straight :thup:

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So if the ball is above your feet say and the shaft angle changes to a normal flat lie shot, the face doesn't close?

Is the clubface pointing in th same direction on both these shots?

sorry, cant make the picture bigger

Attachments

• bbaf.jpg
    bbaf.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If the ball is above your feet and you FLATTEN THE PLANE then the clubface would be pointed left, and vice-versa for a ball below your feet however if we look at the (well known?) concept of the ball 'drawing' with the ball above your feet how would it draw if the clubface is closed?.. it wouldn't... it would actually START to the left.... so the clubface MUST BY DEFAULT be being delivered more open...

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with this guys description (he's talking about reducing the curve when he SHOULD be talking about the face being more open) you can see that when he hits the ball at 1 min 35 secs the ball starts TO THE RIGHT so the clubface certainly isn't pointing left even though the ball is above his feet.

[video=youtube;RyFEigUCzPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFEigUCzPw[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok,so you are in affect cheating the slope by gripping down on the shaft to make it more upright so the club sits toe down into the slope or toe up on the shot with the ball below your feet?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think I said this as my 1st reply...

Meaning that the ball doesn't hook/draw/slice off a sidehill lie if you don't want it to. Assuming that it will (and play for it) is not right in my opinion, you can hit whatever shot you want off any lie.... I can easily hook off a downhill lie if I want to, it doesn't need to be a slice regardless of what we might be informed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn't it a bit dodgy for an average h/capper to have the hands low on a 'ball below the feet' shot?
re the bold bit:
Perhaps. But JO ain't one of those is he.

I've always found it best to allow a little for the slope on hanging lies and adjust my hand position for iron shots above the feet. For some reason (probably the-to-in swing dominating) wood/hyrid shots tend to fade/slice off either slope - so I allow for it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
re the bold bit:
Perhaps. But JO ain't one of those is he.

You clearly haven't seen me play :mad: :( :D

Clearly this is going to another one of those threads!.. I don't mind as long as no-one starts whinging..... :whistle:

I think (as stated) it's about balance, you need to remain VERTICAL and that means keeping the weight on the heels for a downhill lie and on the toes for one above your feet, that's how simple it is to me... you don't need to worry about the shot shape at all then, just play your normal shot (as shown by ShawnClement in the first vid and the ball CLEARLY starting to the right in the second vid).

I don't see the need to start telling your 'average h/cap' player that the ball is going to move one way or another when clearly it doesn't have to. Would you not also be telling them to adjust their weight distribution, possibly aim and be crossing your fingers that their swingpath will somehow take care of itself?

If you've got someone who normally hits a draw it ISN'T suddenly going to fade if the ball is below his feet... ... it's about what the clubface is doing and what the players NORMAL swingpath is, there's NOTHING to say that someone who normally swings from the in-out will suddenly swing from out-in just because you put the ball 2" below their feet, if it was that easy we could cure a hook just by using shorter clubs :D... of course they might not understand balance and practically fall down the slope :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You might have already covered this in a way I didn't understand, but using the ball above feet example, I thought the notion that the ball is likely to move right to left is because the club face points slightly to the left as you lift the toe off the ground (or the heel down to be level with the slope).

Is this not the case, or do you readjust your grip to realign the face before you swing?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Gary how do you hit right to left if the club is pointing LEFT... the ball would start LEFT (ballflight laws). Are you assuming that you're going to aim so far to the right to 'make the draw happen'? and then what? jam the club into the slope?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Isn't it a bit dodgy for an average h/capper to have the hands low on a 'ball below the feet' shot?

Gary how do you hit right to left if the club is pointing LEFT... the ball would start LEFT (ballflight laws). Are you assuming that you're going to aim so far to the right to 'make the draw happen'? and then what? jam the club into the slope?

It is a strange one because when playing a ball above the feet shot they do tend to move left to right. Whether they start left and move further left I'm not so sure. I'll have to keep an eye next time for it.

Is that to do with the flatter downswing as a result of the slope?

Ps only just checked back to see if anyone had replied to my post but didn't expect a row about it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sorry, just my terminology. The point I was trying badly to make was that I expect the ball to move to the left of wherever it started, because raising the toe means (to me) the clubface points slightly left of where you think it does, and therefore is closed to whatever you think your target line is.

Confused?..... tune in next week..... :confused: :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
One more for luck....

[video=youtube;DHNokrTI98A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHNokrTI98A[/video]

I don't think he says aim left and play for a slice.... :thup:

oooh.... last one.... (bit of waffle in this one....)

[video=youtube;7T_sgwG8Vp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_sgwG8Vp8[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't think I'll be changing the way I teach these shots.
If Shawn Clement told you that more loft hit the ball lower, would you believe him? ;)