Two questions about competitions...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Should be two fairly easy ones for the rules boffins on GM!

1. Is there anything in the rules to stop a club giving a player a one competition ban for non-completion of a previous competition?

2. Following from question one, would the club be allowed to issue that one competition ban after only adding and documenting the new rule AFTER the scenario in question one had occurred ie. it did not exist when the player chose not to complete the first competition?

I'm, err, asking for a friend. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Sounds reasonable.

2. Sounds unfair. Though the circumstances might warrant a strong talking to about responsibilities to others in/prevented from entering the comp.

Retrospective legislation is obscene imo.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

1. Is there anything in the rules to stop a club giving a player a one competition ban for non-completion of a previous competition?

2. Following from question one, would the club be allowed to issue that one competition ban after only adding and documenting the new rule AFTER the scenario in question one had occurred ie. it did not exist when the player chose not to complete the first competition?

(1) I reckon its fair enough to have this kinda rule , but for persistant offenders not a first offence ..

i also reckon the offender should have a chance to explain why he/she didnt complete the round...

(2) Thats just nuts, you (sorry your friend) cant be penalised for a club rule that didnt exist at the time of the offence .. calmly meet the person in the club responsible , explain to him/her you were in contact with the EGU & they advised you to get a letter stating the date the NEW rule was implemented & the date the offence occured , also ask for the reason you (your friend) are/is been excluded from the comp .. see what reaction that gets .. & tell your mate to finish from now on :whistle:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

An easy one indeed. Matters like this are outwith the Rules of Golf and it is entirely a matter for a club to legislate for them and to discipline members who are in breach of club rules. I think some sort of response to no-shows and non-completion is common.

I couldn't agree more that retrospective legislation is entirely wrong and contrary to natural justice.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Go on... tell us... what did you do ?

Club championship came along while I was suffering from the shanks. I don't mean the odd shank, I mean nine out of ten full irons and chips were coming off the hosel.

After just about holding it together in the first round to card a 99, I returned for the second round and by the time I got to the 7th I knew enough was enough.

I asked my two playing partners if they minded if I finished my round at the 9th and couldn't have been more insistent that I'd play on if they felt I was out of line. While both said that they personally would be reluctant to take the action I was planning they both said they understood and had no issue with it.

After nine holes I had already amassed... (wait for it)... 68 strokes in the second round. This included at least 12 lost balls (a full box of my beloved Wilson DX2s gone) and I only had four left in the bag.

I made my apologies yet again, waited by the 10th tee with my group to sort out the exchange of cards, signing to the point I had marked my playing partner, shook their heads, gave them my best wishes and left.

Do I regret it? Not a bit, the mental damage being done is still setting me back on the course. In hindsight, I should've followed my gut and not entered in the first place but with two comp wins this season and a few top fives I wanted to give it a shot.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
i also reckon the offender should have a chance to explain why he/she didnt complete the round...

There is an appeal process for the ban.

To give you an idea of dates involved, club championship that I didn't complete was 21 & 22 July. The rule was added to the club website last Friday and my ban was yesterday. I still played (for handicap) and actually won the pro's draw... but wasn't elligble to win the actual competition. Not that I would anyway, I shot 101. :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

To give you an idea of dates involved, club championship that I didn't complete was 21 & 22 July. The rule was added to the club website last Friday and my ban was yesterday. I still played (for handicap) and actually won the pro's draw... but wasn't elligble to win the actual competition. Not that I would anyway, I shot 101. :)

THEY ARE HAVING A LAUGH MATE .... sorry for shouting that but i would have shouted that at them if they had done this to me ..
Thats a load of bull you know what . . they cant punish you for a rule that was not in existance at the time of the offence ..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just accept the ban and get over it only cause more problems dragging it out

Are ya kidding Beggsy ? sure if they can do it like that they can make anything up as they go along , rules are laid down by the club & when you pay your sub you agree to abide by these rules or you will be penalised by the club , it wasnt a rule when it happened so he didnt break anything , sure ya cant run a club like that ..

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I, semi-jokingly, told the competition secretary than if I put in a winning score I'd be going to the EGU but the poor result meant it wasn't necessary. Oh well. We're a small club with a good atmosphere among the member so much to my own chagrin I didn't fight it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That is completely stupid! That certainly doesn't indicate an Appeal process!

I'd suggest you contact the 'main man' and demand to know what's going on. Threaten to name and shame the club - in newspapers normally works - or simply sue for defamation - as your 'reputation has been affected by some retrospective rule'. And that would also have contributed to your 101 too!

What would have happened if you had truly run out of balls. Completely unjust imo!

And 'accepting the ban' simply allows stupidity like that to be continued!

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
That is completely stupid! That certainly doesn't indicate an Appeal process!

I'd suggest you contact the 'main man' and demand to know what's going on. Threaten to name and shame the club - in newspapers normally works - or simply sue for defamation - as your 'reputation has been affected by some retrospective rule'. And that would also have contributed to your 101 too!

What would have happened if you had truly run out of balls. Completely unjust imo!

And 'accepting the ban' simply allows stupidity like that to be continued!

Again, given the small and personal nature of our club, I don't think this is a route I'd be comfortable going down. Spineless? That's me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I, semi-jokingly, told the competition secretary than if I put in a winning score I'd be going to the EGU but the poor result meant it wasn't necessary. Oh well. We're a small club with a good atmosphere among the member so much to my own chagrin I didn't fight it.

in itself a seemingly strange situation - but the reality is that such happen frequently!

it would appear that they didn't go down the usual fiasco of trying to prove it was there all the time (as a specific) but, on the other hand, I would be amazed if there wasn't some general rule that they could choose to position such action under (we certainly have one along the lines of actions or activities that cause etc...)

on the other hand, and having been in your situation before, I know that you are between a rock and a hard place; however hard you try not to disturb your playing partners you simply cannot avoid doing so. The solution is, to my mind, to do as you set out - and probably set u a couple of drinks behind the bar for them when they get in. As such I wouldn't have taken any action in this case.

I wonder how they would have ruled when one of our members put his carry bag down to recover his ball from the edge of a water hazard - turning round he first heard, then saw, the bag fall, roll and disappear into the hazard...needless to say he got a little damp, and muddy, recovering said bag (I never heard if he got the ball) and choose not to complete the competition round!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chronic shanking; 68 strokes for 9 holes; 12 balls lost? Good grief, man, you had sound medical reasons for giving up! If your GP is a golfer, I'm sure you would get a certificate.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Chronic shanking; 68 strokes for 9 holes; 12 balls lost? Good grief, man, you had sound medical reasons for giving up! If your GP is a golfer, I'm sure you would get a certificate.

It's a long road back from there, especially in a season when I've been so successful.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, given the small and personal nature of our club, I don't think this is a route I'd be comfortable going down. Spineless? That's me.

Small & personal to you maybe, but not personal enough for the muppet introducing the new rule to have a quiet word with you & say, look just so you know mate we frown on non finishers around here unless its medical . then a notice goes up on the board & in the clubhouse stating "AS OF FROM THE (DATE IN THE FUTURE) A NEW RULE IS BEING IMPLEMENTED TO PREVENT etc etc etc ..

spineless ? i wouldnt say so , but dont be walked over dude .. anyhow thats just my opinion , totaly up to yourself how you handle it