Two more for the history books

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After over 120 years (Founded 1893) the nine hole course of the Ffestiniog Golf Club, located 900 feet above sea level in the Snowdonia National Park, will close at the end of the month.

Due to difficult trading conditions the Belmont Lodge Golf Club in Herefordshie (Founded 1983) will close today.

Always appreciate any help with information on clubs and courses that have closed.

Still awaiting news on Purley Chase GC in Warwickshire and the North Worcestershire GC. Does anyone know if they are still going?

Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk - Helping preserve the history of clubs and courses that have disappeared.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After over 120 years (Founded 1893) the nine hole course of the Ffestiniog Golf Club, located 900 feet above sea level in the Snowdonia National Park, will close at the end of the month.

Due to difficult trading conditions the Belmont Lodge Golf Club in Herefordshie (Founded 1983) will close today.

Always appreciate any help with information on clubs and courses that have closed.

Still awaiting news on Purley Chase GC in Warwickshire and the North Worcestershire GC. Does anyone know if they are still going?

Golf's Missing Links www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk - Helping preserve the history of clubs and courses that have disappeared.

Adding another to the list; Bearwood GC in Berks will be closing at the end of the month to make way for a training facility for Reading Football Club.

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I understand that yesterday (28th February)was the last day of opening for St Cleres Hall Golf Club in Essex. The course is closing to make way for a new housing development.

The driving range at the site is to remain open and I understand that there is planning consent to develop this to two tiers. Had been a member there myself for a short time and was one of the few courses in Essex which was not built on Clay given it's location on the north side of the River Thames.

I guess it reflects the "over capacity " of Golf Courses in this part of the country.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I understand that yesterday (28th February)was the last day of opening for St Cleres Hall Golf Club in Essex. The course is closing to make way for a new housing development.

The driving range at the site is to remain open and I understand that there is planning consent to develop this to two tiers. Had been a member there myself for a short time and was one of the few courses in Essex which was not built on Clay given it's location on the north side of the River Thames.

I guess it reflects the "over capacity " of Golf Courses in this part of the country.

Cheers Steve, would you have a scorecard for the course?

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With regard to this comment, are there any statistics with regard to the numbers of golf courses in the UK over the years.

Would be interesting to know how this has gone up / down

Just know that in the last six months the situation regarding course closures has been particularly bad.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
North Worcestershire shareholding members have voted to sell to Bloor Homes, but it's expected to stay open for 2 more years while things are sorted out with the Council etc..