Two golfers with very different hand positions... Whose is better?

Superdan

Medal Winner
Visit site
So my friend and I decided to video ourselves at the range. I noticed after looking at the footage that our hands were in very different positions and the top of our backswings... but what is better?

(guy on left is using 5-iron, guy on right has 21degree hybrid)

Attachments

• dan and christov's golf swings_2.jpg
    dan and christov's golf swings_2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've recently been trying to get towards more of a 'guy on the left' position from my 'guy on the right' position, so hopefully the guy on the left is better.

Does the guy on the right push a lot of shots?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think the hight of the golfer has to come into play here. If the guy on the left is shorter than the guy on the right he will have a flatter swing, and viz-versa. Just look at Ian Woosnams swing(little guy, long shafts). He almost swung around his body.

DCB

Visit site
Surely it doesn't really matter what the swing looks like, it's that magic area as the clubhead gets back to the ball and the strike is made that's important.

If the ball is taken cleanly with a clubface on target then that's all that matters ;)

Wonder if Jim Furyk worries about what his swing looks like :p

A

Alex1975

Guy on the right, guy on the left is flat as has been said. Who is you?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't advise. But, I get scared watching players down the line like the one on the left. :)

Which is you though? :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your the one on the left stay with the one plane swing.....Just use what you have and dont try to mix things from a 2 plane swing or it will really mess you up.....

For what its worth your very upright for a one plane swing....Just concentrate on bending over more at the waist and widen your stance a little more.

Last edited:

Superdan

Medal Winner
Visit site
I like you optimism skyrocket! I'm the one on the left...

I've had some lessons recently and the my pro really encouraged me to try and get my hands as far to the right and behind me as i could but i never realised what it looked like until i had a look at the video. I wouldn't say that there's any trend to my duff shots at the moment, equal numbers left/ right. Interesting to read people's thoughts though!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In my opinion you need more tilt towards the ball (forward bend) so your shoulders have more of an inclined tilt to them, they look too flat.......at the moment they are on the same inclination as your mates two plane swing and you're very likely to get stuck with the club behind you from that position.

Just my 2cents.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guy on the left is like me,it's a one plane swing and does appear more flat than the 2 plane swing.
To understand the difference see the attachment in the reply to my post Flat Swing.
After reading bits on here and looking at videos on you tube I'm a lot less concerned as I was.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Guy on the left is like me,it's a one plane swing and does appear more flat than the 2 plane swing.
To understand the difference see the attachment in the reply to my post Flat Swing.
After reading bits on here and looking at videos on you tube I'm a lot less concerned as I was.

How do you know it's 1 plane based on 1 static pic?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How do you know it's 1 plane based on 1 static pic?

1 plane or 2 plane doesn't refer to the path the club travels back on, but the relationship between arms and shoulders at the top of the swing.

From memory I think anything up to 12° difference between arm (left for rh golfer) angle and shoulder angle is referred to as one plane, anything over is two plane.