Two golf courses under threat from Extinction Rebellion

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Protests were held in Sussex at the weekend as climate change activists Extinction Rebellion lead calls to create a wildlife haven on two golf courses.
News article
I'm all in favour of caring for the environment but I think they see it as a soft target where people will care less about a golf course closing, and provides a council who are under pressure to reduce costs a good excuse for closing them on ecological grounds.

D

Deleted member 23344

I’ve played both those courses as they are not that far away from me ... and they are HILLY! I don’t like seeing courses close but, if I’m honest, I wouldn’t be playing either of them again anyway.

browner77

Visit site
Both courses are owned by Brighton council and decent tracks but yes hilly.
The problem with closing council owned courses is youngsters and new golfers may never take the game up without access to the ‘cheaper’ courses. The majority of golfers I would suggest started on the local council courses and then move on to better/dearer things!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Waterhall, no problem really, hilly and not a great course, not a lot of traffic I suspect as last time I was there I was told they make more money from 'foot golf' than from real golf. No obvious other use aside from golf and reverting 'back to nature'.
Hollingbury deserves a reprieve. An old fashioned course with some great, thoughtful holes, a bit neglected and 'blighted' by the numerous pathways and dog walkers across the land. It's location would see it likely for housing development, despite anything XR say, so worthwhile trying to preserve as a golf venue.

Abbot

Visit site
Woofers is right, they are protesting the threat of the courses being sold for development rather then the actual courses themselves. They know the course might close and don't want them built on.

Browner77 hits the nail on the head though, if those courses close were losing vital facilities that encourage new golfers. Anything that can be done to save municipal golf courses should be done, to keep them from developers and the extinction lot!