Two Balls in Hole - Ruling Please

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a quick search but couldn’t really find anything:

Scenario:
We are both on the putting green. I have a putt then nudge in my ball after missing the first. I go to get my ball but I see my playing partner is in the zone so I step away and let him have a roll.
He holes his putt - so now there are 2 balls in the bottom of the cup.

Is there any penalty of any kind for this or a ruling? I was thinking that there wasn’t but the rest of my group said I was wrong and it’s a 2 shot penalty or the loss of a hole.

If you could link a ruling to this I would be very happy.:thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm with you on this, not one i've heard of or read so will be interested if we turn out to be wrong

With the rest of the group not only convinced its a breach but also knowing its a 2 shot penalty rather than a single shot I'd have thought they'd have no problem telling you which rule had been breached, I take it they didn't/couldn't?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No penalty as far as I'm aware.

For example, if someone hits a HIO or an albatross / eagle, are they meant to run up and remove the ball before everyone else plays their shot?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm with you on this, not one i've heard of or read so will be interested if we turn out to be wrong

With the rest of the group not only convinced its a breach but also knowing its a 2 shot penalty rather than a single shot I'd have thought they'd have no problem telling you which rule had been breached, I take it they didn't/couldn't?
This. So many people claim to know the rules. I always carry the latest rule book with me and so if someone claims that I can hand them the book and say "show it to me". :D :whistle:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly, the rubbish some people come up with regarding the rules of golf. I reckon some people think the rules of golf are complicated not because they actually are, but because of the amount of rubbish people think is true.