Two Ball Ten - Odyssey putter

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone currently gaming one...? Or had a try? How are you finding it?
Intrigued by them using classic two ball style with more modern spider shape.

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone currently gaming one...? Or had a try?
Intrigued by them using classic two ball style with more modern spider shape.

I’m often intrigued by putters because I’m a pretty rubbish putter. I’m inclined to think though that getting a new putter would probably only have a temporary effect at best so haven’t made the leap.

I’d love it if someone could persuade me otherwise! Is this the one?!

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m often intrigued by putters because I’m a pretty rubbish putter. I’m inclined to think though that getting a new putter would probably only have a temporary effect at best so haven’t made the leap.

This could have been written by my own hand...!! Never really found a mallet style that I wanted to make the leap for but was intrigued by this one. Obviously putting lessons would be more beneficial than buying something new but we know that’s now how this works right??!!?? ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This could have been written by my own hand...!! Never really found a mallet style that I wanted to make the leap for but was intrigued by this one. Obviously putting lessons would be more beneficial than buying something new but we know that’s now how this works right??!!?? ?

Im very tempted by Wilson staffs budget spider to see how I find one. £85 isn’t such a big investment if it’s not for me!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a friend who probably has over 100 putters last time I saw him he had just bought two more and was already trying to sell one of them
Many of he ones he buys get sold for about half to two thirds of the price he paid for them.

He often brings half a dozen putters to the practice green and once he has had a lot of 1950/60s putter with him. I picked a couple I liked the look off and gave them a try . It left me wondering why he bought new putters.

Save your money and have lessons.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Lessons for putting!
Hmm.?
Basics, I.e. Types of grip - yes
Tips-yes
But how do you teach the ability to read a green, really read it well?
Or exactly how hard to hit the ball to reach the hole at optimum speed etc.

Or is it "feel", or an innate skill.

I played with a chap years ago, old boy , who played like God around the green, especially his putting. Old style putter, mostly wrist.
Had been a good player in his prime but now lost a lot of length.
I asked him why he was so good at putting, and he said he didn't know.
He just seemed to be able to read the green and hit it right .
"Never analysed it really!"
Told me he had played a few times with Peter Alliss at his home club.
And Alliss had remarked once to him, " You know, Pat, if I could have putted like you, I would have won it all "
Some hyperbole , yes - but praise indeed.

So, why is it some can putt so brilliantly? I imagine we all know someone at the club who does putt uncannily well, and probably can't tell you why?
The mystery of golf!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lessons for putting!
Hmm.?
Basics, I.e. Types of grip - yes
Tips-yes
But how do you teach the ability to read a green, really read it well?
Or exactly how hard to hit the ball to reach the hole at optimum speed etc.

Or is it "feel", or an innate skill.

I played with a chap years ago, old boy , who played like God around the green, especially his putting. Old style putter, mostly wrist.
Had been a good player in his prime but now lost a lot of length.
I asked him why he was so good at putting, and he said he didn't know.
He just seemed to be able to read the green and hit it right .
"Never analysed it really!"
Told me he had played a few times with Peter Alliss at his home club.
And Alliss had remarked once to him, " You know, Pat, if I could have putted like you, I would have won it all "
Some hyperbole , yes - but praise indeed.

So, why is it some can putt so brilliantly? I imagine we all know someone at the club who does putt uncannily well, and probably can't tell you why?
The mystery of golf!
A lot of putting is about touch, I think that is what you are describing. Touch is not a tangible thing that you can teach. Some have it naturally, some can gain it through regular practice but need to practice to maintain it.

For many of us it is intermittent but on those days when you have it it is glorious.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of putting is about touch, I think that is what you are describing. Touch is not a tangible thing that you can teach. Some have it naturally, some can gain it through regular practice but need to practice to maintain it.

For many of us it is intermittent but on those days when you have it it is glorious.

I'm a reasonable putter, but am sure I'd be better if I ever bothered to practice. I'm happy to have half an hour on the practice ground hitting irons, or 5 minutes in the net hitting the driver, or even a few practice chips, but the one thing I never bother to practice is my putting. I know it's stupid, and comment on it regularly after leaving my first putt a couple of feet short - "if only I'd had a few practice putts".

I don't know why, but it just never occurs to me.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The ability to putt well is a superpower. If you have it you can putt with almost anything and you just look at what you have to do, stand there and let the subconscious take over. You don't even have to practice much.

Unfortunately it's not something you can buy. A lesson or two may help a bit (often involves being advised that you need a new putter “and we just happen to have one here that suits you sir”). Practice, practice, practice will obviously help a bit as well but ultimately, it's an ability you either have/haven't got.

Imho of course. ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don’t think of the importance of putting in quite such an ethereal way.
Errors in a golf swing can be corrected and improvements can be easily recognisable. Not so with putting as any quirky style can be effective if it works for you and it is not necessarily an error. Improvements are unlikely to be immediate and will take far more time to become permanent or lasting.
I have come to understand that putting ability or skill level is a very long term thing. The question is, “How much time are you prepared to practice?”
My suggestion is to breakdown the amount of practice time you have into 3 categories.
Putting 40%. Pitching and chipping 30%. Hitting full shots with driver down to 9-iron 30%.
So if you find time to spend an hour on the range then you should spend more than 2 hours on your short game. Putting for a whole hour can seem mind numbing to some. I would tell any who feel this way to have three such sessions a week. If you can find enough time for two rounds of golf in a week, then you could change this to one round and three hours of practice for a while. If you don’t want to practice putting in order to become a better golfer, then you really ought to look for a different pastime.
Just about every amateur golfer I have played with whose putting I have admired has been using a putter that they have had for a long time and of fairly simple design.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Can safely say I've gone from zero to hero on the greens.

1. Learned Aimpoint

2. Bought new fitted putter that suited my style and was at a length that put my eyes over the line in a repeatable (see note later) comfortable position. New putter was significantly more forgiving on mishits and sweetspot was alighed at the aiming line.

3.Practice 3 times a week for about 20 minutes on a putt out trainer. NOTE: I also use a mirror for about 10 putts to ensure eye position hasnt moved, and make sure to address it if it has.

I think putting is the easiest way to improve in a reward/effort comparison.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think putting is the easiest way to improve in a reward/effort comparison.
I totally agree with this! Certainly if the 3(+) putt count is a significant factor to scores!
But finding the right putter AND the right technique can be quite a pilgramage!
I've used very many putters (50+), but my best putting has always been with 1/2 particular (Bettinardi) ones! I discovered my optimum style and length a long time ago in my (then) Pro shop - 'supposedly Ladies' 33" mallet (Centre Shafted Oddessey 2-ball). I have relatively long arms/back compared to legs, so 33" is no surprise. When i could afford losing money on 'whim' purchases, I bought/'tested'/sold all sorts and still have a dozen or more that I occasionally try out - not necessarily with great effect!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly, I was in the putting doldrums up to last year it was really holding me back. Now I think everything is going in and I’m holing so many more it’s not funny, it’s really offset some dodgy driving I’ve developed. What changed? Mindset mainly but also I stopped trying to do what the books said you should do. I had a putting mirror and practised with my eyes over the ball, ball in middle of stance, correct posture grip etc. But my stroke went outside the line going back, and in effect sliced the ball going through. This was shown in a travelling SAM lab they had at American golf one day, turn up and use for free.

Then I stopped doing what I thought was right I found my optimal set up. Ball is forward, pretty much off my left toe. That promotes an upward stroke. No idea if my eyes are over but at a guess they’re slightly inside the line. I am heavily right eye dominant and now in this set up can actually see the line from ball to hole. It was always a compromise in the “proper” setup and made me push short putts cos I was not correctly aligned and my brain was making adjustments without my permission. Push. Pull. Leaving it short 90% of the time or lashing it past. It’s all gone.

The last thing (that should be) on my mind before I take the putter back is a mental video of the ball rolling end over end at perfect pace into the hole and then I let my brain do what it needs to make that happen. If it sounds liberating, it is. Some rounds I loved playing tee to green and hated stepping onto the green. Fear of 3 putts from 20 feet+. It’s all gone and it’s not a new putter. The one problem I have now is sometimes something else is the last thought in my mind and I mess it up. But that’s a lot less frequent than before and will improve with practice I’m sure

petema99

Visit site
My mate just got one, with the triple track - felt really nice. Very reassuring weight in the head and a lot of stability for a straight back and through type stroke