TV commentary team assisting players

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m just watching the golf from Fairmont St Andrews, and Matt Wallace, clearly not everyone’s favourite golfer, just carved his approach to the par 5 6th into the cabbage right of the green.

The ball quite clearly buried, and it was obvious that the playing group were looking in the wrong spot.

The Sky Sports commentary team, with the benefit of slow motion replays, directed Wayne Riley to the likely area the ball disappeared and, lo and behold, he promptly found it.

That is a massive break for Wallace, not one that those further down the field not subject of TV coverage are likely to benefit from, and could very well be the difference between him winning and not. And I’m genuinely not that comfortable with TV commentary teams contributing towards the outcome of a tournament in such a way.

Thoughts?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Its wrong.
But can you penalise Wallace...i don't think so.
TV should show pictures and talk chat...until all players have every shot recorded and they're all given the same level of help....

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw this and like the OP that it was wrong. They are (rightly) not allowing “trial by TV” infringements of the rules that are only noticed in super slo-mo or highly magnified images. One of the reasons given is that it is unfair as not every shot is covered by TV. If that is the case then you can’t give players breaks like this, where they were reviewing slow motion film and directing the on course commentator to the ball until he trod on it.
This could very possibly affect the outcome of the entire tournament.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It’s obviously unfair but not sure how you stop it, bit weird to just sit on your hands and say nothing. Still find it bizarre that Tiger lost his ball off the 1st tee at the Sandwich Open.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nah no big deal. Tiger , Rory etc have much bigger crowds in normal times to help look. Should we limit the number of people allowed to help?
Yeah, limit it to those who are there...not some people sitting in a commentary box at the other end of the course or even in a different country

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you had been watching the American golf last night there were nearly a dozen players, commentators etc all down on their hands and knees trying to find Brooks Koepka's ball which was plugged in the bunker side grass.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
If you had been watching the American golf last night there were nearly a dozen players, commentators etc all down on their hands and knees trying to find Brooks Koepka's ball which was plugged in the bunker side grass.
Difference was they weren’t getting any help from the TV production team.

Personally it doesn’t bother me. Like a previous post said, normally there would have been spectators there to see where it landed (or to have been hit by it in the first place :eek:)

Billysboots

Visit site
It's a perk of being high profile, as opposed to the downside of having every move you make getting analysed by the whole world.

It happens all the time, it's just the way it is.

To be fair, I watch a lot of golf on the TV, and that’s the first time I’ve seen the studio commentary team get that involved in anything like finding a ball, certainly not when the beneficiary is leading the tournament at the time.

It just feels wrong.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, I watch a lot of golf on the TV, and that’s the first time I’ve seen the studio commentary team get that involved in anything like finding a ball, certainly not when the beneficiary is leading the tournament at the time.

It just feels wrong.
I think they've always done it and certainly can remember a case at the Renaissance this year. Also back in the day when I used to listen to 5 live can recall them searching for balls with input from the TV commentary team

Billysboots

Visit site
I clearly need Wayne Riley to follow me round. I’d keep him and the producers really busy in the long stuff, but my scores would tumble!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Happens often in the US, noticeably when they are trying to ascertain where the ball crossed a water hazard (yes, penalty area) line, so they can decide if the player needs to drop 150 yards back or next to the green.
Slightly different scenario but same input.

No issue with that one for me; we all know where the ball is, just using technology to establish the correct dropping point.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No real issue for me. There are pluses and minuses for having the TV cameras follow you. You might get a break like this. But you might be trial by television if you do something seen as wrong that those not on TV get away with.

Last 2 rounds they will follow the leaders (and Tiger) so everyone has a chance of being up there or playing with Tiger....

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
No real issue for me. There are pluses and minuses for having the TV cameras follow you. You might get a break like this. But you might be trial by television if you do something seen as wrong that those not on TV get away with.

Last 2 rounds they will follow the leaders (and Tiger) so everyone has a chance of being up there or playing with Tiger....
I agree , just something else to be annoyed about that but that doesn't really matter.