turning my hips during back swing

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good friend of mine that plays off 4 told me the main issue he can see with my swing is I don't turn my hips enough during my back swing to enable me to get the power on the down swing as they turn back towards the target, which effectively means all the speed and power is coming from my arms, which explains why I struggle to carry more than 210 yards with a fairly OK hit with my driver, but I guess the same is true for my irons as well.

My problem is when I try to turn my hips more I feel like I lose control in the change when shifting from back swing to down swing and the resulting shot is usually a big hook and I will often lose balance. Are there any drills or suggestions you recommend I follow to control this better? I thought about pausing for a second or so at the top of my swing until I get used to the transition, but perhaps a few of you have something better for me to try!

Thanks

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Because you need a little 'slide' in your transition not just fire the right hip back out to the ball again, the right hip stays back to the 'mirror'. It's not a 'spin'.

[video=youtube;NNwSfz0_KDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM[/video]

Hope that helps.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I'll give that a proper try. Attempted it yesterday on the first tee, obviously moved too much and topped the ball about 3 inches! Ha! Maybe the range would be a better place to put it into practice first.... Thanks though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks, I'll give that a proper try. Attempted it yesterday on the first tee, obviously moved too much and topped the ball about 3 inches! Ha! Maybe the range would be a better place to put it into practice first.... Thanks though!

This sort of change should definitely be practiced somewhere before the 1st tee!

For we part-timers, the 1st tee is a fraught enough place without trying to do 'strange' things!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

That's good news - it means you actually changed something :thup:

sajkox

Club Champion
Visit site
em. ok. Im fresh here but ... is his backswing ok ? hips turned 80 degrees and no coil ? right knee outside ?
its almost against everything I was told :O

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Because you need a little 'slide' in your transition not just fire the right hip back out to the ball again, the right hip stays back to the 'mirror'. It's not a 'spin'.

[video=youtube;NNwSfz0_KDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM[/video]

Hope that helps.

I tried doing what was suggested in the video today at the range as id been strugglin abit with my irons recently. This definitely helped me! Cheers for putting it up! 😃

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the guy in the video but the message is sound, its a good swing thought about keeping the right buttock (cant help thinking about Forrest Gump with that word) pressed against the wall on the downswing. I believe-correct me if I'm wrong- that firing out the right hip can lead to J arthurs, pulls and slices with an OTT swing?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Only if the shoulders follow

yes, thats what I meant, when I do it slowly it seems to force my right shoulder out and OTT, thats why I quite like the 'keep the right buttock against wall' swing thought to stop me spinning out and/or early extending (I've hit my belt buckle a few times due to a big EE)

it would explain the J arthurs I went through from 3 iron to wedge.

Cheers Bob! and JO for posting the vid:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes, thats what I meant, when I do it slowly it seems to force my right shoulder out and OTT, thats why I quite like the 'keep the right buttock against wall' swing thought to stop me spinning out and/or early extending (I've hit my belt buckle a few times due to a big EE)

it would explain the J arthurs I went through from 3 iron to wedge.

Cheers Bob! and JO for posting the vid:thup:

That will be why i shermaned a few at the practice ground yesterday then:(

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I believe-correct me if I'm wrong- that firing out the right hip can lead to J arthurs, pulls and slices with an OTT swing?

Is correct. You have to avoid your hip with your hands if it's in the way... so you can swing OUT a bit more and shank it, or you can swing over the top to avoid your hip.... and that's often shank city too :thup: