Tumeric

Hoganman1

Visit site
Are any of you fellow golfers taking Tumeric? At age 69, aches and pains are a daily occurrence for me. I've been taking Aleve (naproxen) but I worry about it's affect on one's stomach. Apparently Tumeric is a more natural and safer way to suppress inflammation. My wife started taking it a few months ago because she has occasional nerve pain from a previous case of the shingles. She says it seems to be working. She's fairly active, but doesn't play golf. I started taking it this morning and I'm hoping it will allow me to play with less pain going forward.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a programme on the TV (may have been of the 'truth about' series) about effectiveness of this. From memory the biggest point being made was about how much you have to take for it to have any real beneficial effect.

This from another website on the subject

If you want anti-inflammatory effects you need to get 500 to 1,000 milligrams of curcuminoids per day.”
When using the spice on its own, the common rule of thumb is that there are 200 milligrams of curcumin in one teaspoon of fresh or ground turmeric (though it varies a bit depending on the source and origins).

Although it’s powerful, curcumin isn’t all-mighty. In fact, both Dr. Berzin and Scalzo point out that it’s poorly absorbed on its own. So you could be taking the recommended dosage, but if it’s not making its way into your gut, you aren’t getting the full spectrum of benefits.

You could be taking the recommended dosage, but if it’s not making its way into your gut, you aren’t getting the full spectrum of benefits.​

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes. Amazon do a Turmeric, Ginger & Bromelain 3-in-1. Also take fish oils.

However, I’ve recently had a program from a conditioning coach to deal specifically with lower back stiffness and pain. The results were astonishing. 25 mins a day for 3 weeks and I am much much better.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing to consider is whether you really need an anti-inflammatory. These days they are used a lot, but you have to consider that inflammation is the bodies natural response to trauma, to help it recover.

If you have inflammation caused by a disorder of the immune system, such as arthritis, then it makes sense to use an anti-inflammatory because the body does not need this inflammation.

If you have inflammation through bad posture, bad movement patterns, overuse etc.. then you will be better served by addressing the root cause of the issue, rather than just masking the symptom.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Are any of you fellow golfers taking Tumeric? At age 69, aches and pains are a daily occurrence for me. I've been taking Aleve (naproxen) but I worry about it's affect on one's stomach. Apparently Tumeric is a more natural and safer way to suppress inflammation. My wife started taking it a few months ago because she has occasional nerve pain from a previous case of the shingles. She says it seems to be working. She's fairly active, but doesn't play golf. I started taking it this morning and I'm hoping it will allow me to play with less pain going forward.

I took turmeric for about 8 months to help lower bag mobility, and aching hips. It worked for me.
The suggestion came from a sports injury practitioner, from Indian heritage, who told me about Golden Milk, basically turmeric tea.
After extensive research I found the most appropriate product to give a therapeutic dose was produced by a company called Vitacure.
You need a large dose of curcumin (turmeric active ingredient) mixed with black pepper extract, bioperine, to enhance absorption.
However relevant stretching and strengthening excercise are just as important.image.png

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another arthritis sufferer who uses turmeric and has noticed the benefits. Also take green lipped mussel and rosehip.

brfcfan

Visit site

My partner makes it and takes it, she has arthritis and absolutely swears by it. She sells pots of it to friends and they have kept coming back for more. Her mixture is turmeric, coconut oil and black pepper. Even works on animals. Works far better than the capsules, but not as easy to take as you have to take it with Orange Juice or another drink as the taste is a bit strange.

Hope you find a solution