Traveling light...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How many clubs do you guys have in the bag, the full compliment or just enough to get the job done ?...

Ive got 11 at the moment, 3w, 7w, 22* hybrid, 7/8/9/pw/sw/50/60 and putter although this can change at any time...

Do you use all yer clubs or are there clubs that you really wouldn't miss if they weren't there, excess baggage/dead weight n'all that...

I like to travel light, don't see the point in lugging stuff around that I either never use, very rarely use or simply just can't use for one reason or another...

What prompted me to ask is I never hit a 5i yet it was still in the bag, I can't hit a 6i at the moment yet it was still in the bag which seems stoopid really...

Is it a case of I'm allowed 14 in the bag so I'm gonna have 14 in the bag regardless ?...

Food for thought maybe...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, i'm the opposite of traveling light. I use an electric trolley with a Tour bag, so can get all but the kitchen sink in it.

if i were carrying i might slim it down

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there'll be an 'opportunity' to hit every club (of the 14) I carry in most rounds!

Whether I do so is normally down to conditions or the way I feel on the day - the low hybrid and/or lob/sand wedge might not get used on any particular day.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
do you really need a 7 wood and a 22 hybrid? I'm guessing they're about
the same loft. chance for an even lighter bag.

I had 11, moved up to 14 when I got the leccy trolley. back down to 12 now, as I'm struggling with 2 many wedges and cannot hit a 5 wood for toffee

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I only really play at my home course at the moment but it had crossed my mind that I may struggle when it comes to visiting other courses although I'm fairly confident in what's in the bag, far short of coming across a 1000yd/par 3 that is and I'm fairly certain that's never likely to happen...

I do wonder though when I see other golfers traveling around the course with what can only be best described as a 'three wheeled mini tour van' in tow and I'm damned sure that some have more than 14 in the bag as the top seems to be awash with head covers and what looks to be an absolute ocean full of shiney club heads...

Each to their own of course and if you genuinely use all the clubs in yer bag then fair do's but I do wonder sometimes if it's all just bragging rites, a bit of a peeing contest if you like...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
do you really need a 7 wood and a 22 hybrid? I'm guessing they're about
the same loft. chance for an even lighter bag.

I had 11, moved up to 14 when I got the leccy trolley. back down to 12 now, as I'm struggling with 2 many wedges and cannot hit a 5 wood for toffee

Dunno but I'll find out soon enough, the problem I get is when trying to take on the longer 'par 3' tee shots such as our 196yd/5th with the 22* as it can get a bit wayward where as the 7-wood is a more lazy swing therefore less susceptible to changing course mid flight if you know what I mean...

But yes you are rite and the thought had crossed my mind as to whether it mite be a case of 2 different horses for the same course and no they're not the same lofts a 7-wood (from memory) is 29-32* I think so I'll get a more lofted shot with the extra length that the longer shaft provides, well that's the theory anyhoo... :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Presumably, if you were confident with your driver, 5 and 6 iron you'd have 14 too?

I agree that it's pointless (or even detrimental if you're tempted into using them) to have clubs in the bag you're not confident in, but surely the solution is to learn to hit those clubs rather than suggest that 11 is enough when you might have a 40yd gap in the middle of it.

Just my tuppence worth.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to take a half set to Whitby, with all the toddler stuff in the car I can only take my pencil bag.

Putter, 56, PW, 8, 6, hybrid and driver.

Really thought about it and this makes most sense, can just about squeeze them all in.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
no they're not the same lofts a 7-wood (from memory) is 29-32* /QUOTE]

I'd double check this, pretty sure a 7 wood is 21-24* depending on model :thup:

You may well be rite, I'll have a look see later... :thup:

Ahh, thee are correct sir, god knows where I got 29-32 from :mmm:, must've got it confused with something else I was looking at...

Last edited:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Presumably, if you were confident with your driver, 5 and 6 iron you'd have 14 too?

I agree that it's pointless (or even detrimental if you're tempted into using them) to have clubs in the bag you're not confident in, but surely the solution is to learn to hit those clubs rather than suggest that 11 is enough when you might have a 40yd gap in the middle of it.

Just my tuppence worth.

To be honest with you between my 3-wood, 22* and the 8 iron (in various combinations) I've pretty much got the fairways covered, just one or two par-3's which are proving to be a little stubborn 'well' one in particular... :thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday with 14 clubs in the bag and every single one of them was used at least once. Might not be the case so much when playing off the yellows though.

I occasionally go round our 9 hole course with just a 5 or 6 iron and a wedge and shoot just a couple over par. Makes me wonder why I even carry a putter.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played yesterday with 14 clubs in the bag and every single one of them was used at least once. Might not be the case so much when playing off the yellows though.

I occasionally go round our 9 hole course with just a 5 or 6 iron and a wedge and shoot just a couple over par. Makes me wonder why I even carry a putter.

I'm beginning to think it may well be a cleaning issue, I like everything to be nice and spangly when I step up on the 1st tee you see but on the flip side of that is I don't much like cleaning so maybe I've got it into me subconscious mind that the less clubs I use during a round means there'll be less cleaning to do at the end... :thup:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 14 way divider carry bag that fits on my electric Trolley just right.. I hate pulling a club out and have 2 come for the ride so each has its own slot except for driver and 5 wood as they bigger slots at the top I have a brolley in one and other for these 2 clubs

Carry 13 clubs atm I own 16, the stock pw for my set lives in the porch. As does the 5 iron. My 3 wood I haven't seen for 3 months since I lent it to a mate who I just haven't seen for a few months. He was playing in the tribury and wanted a 3 wood so lent him mine lol

If I came to a course and they banned trolleys I'd ditch a few to loose some weight but if I'm electric trollied up might aswell carry them all incase I need em

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always the full compliment. As a trolley user I can get away with it and a load of stuff in the bag as well. If I carry on a summer night I'll still take the full set but manage to streamline the other rubbish. Makes you wonder why I do carry so much other stuff

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm with the the minimal crowd.

Usually just seven clubs: D, 5w, 4i, 7i, PW, 56deg, Putter.

I have gone around with just the 5i, PW and putter in the past and didn't do all that much worse than usual.

bm

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
When I am playing at my home course I ususally have the full set, at least during summer when I use the trolley. Whenever I travel abroad or in winter, so basically when I plan to carry my bag most of the time, I slim it down some and take out the 7 wood, the 25° hybrid (or sometimes the 5i, they both go about the same length) and one or two of the irons. So typically it would be something like driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, SW, Putter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 13 in the bag at the moment. It was 12 for ages but I recently got a couple of wedges, then took the 3 wood out since it never got used. I want to get a new 4/5 wood to replace the old 5 wood, so I'll be staying on 13 clubs for the foreseeable future.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
at my home club i pretty much have to use every club in the bag at least a couple of times per round. i did an experiment a few years ago to see if i did need all 14. I put head covers on all the irons and once i used a club i didn't put it back on the iron. 3 rounds using all of them apart from the 3 iron once game me the answer.