Travel abroad/Refunds;/ Quarantine/Spain

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is confusing and somebody please correct me if I am wrong:
The FCO have advised against all but essential travel to Spain.
Some airlines,Jet 2 and TUI have stopped flights I think.

Others the main culprit being Ryanair continue to fly despite Government advice albeit half empty planes and therefore NO flight refunds.

Why is it not possible for The Government insist Ryanair stop flying to Spain and ensure they give customers a refund or an option?

what Is the answer easy people want to go away but not self isolate?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Pretty sure that in the fco advise agaisnt travel then you're entitled to a refund irrespective of the flight happening.

That's the guide I've been given by glenncor in regards to a break in Portugal I have coming up.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
EasyJet have been pretty good with refunds I have been due, albeit they took a while.

The letting agent I booked through in Majorca is another matter. Still waiting after two months, so I’ve raised a dispute with my credit card provider.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understood that just because the FCO may advise against travel, that's not a "ban" on travel there. However it might well be another story when it comes to your travel insurance.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The government are unlikely to get so directly involved in businesses. Ryanair are playing the odds. Suing for a refund is likely to cost as much as the flight and the legal grounds for a claim against a flight that left is sketchy. Sadly you book with Ryanair at the moment you must know you are taking a risk

D

Deleted member 1740

The FCO advice re travelling is shafting the punter IMO and protecting the business’s

If you don’t travel and the flight leaves then you lose your flight/accommodation money as it’s your decision not to travel.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the flight is cancelled by the airline, a refund is the legal requirement mandated by the CAA, unless the passenger chooses vouchers or another flight.
FCO advice to not travel will almost certainly void your travel insurance.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The FCO advice re travelling is shafting the punter IMO and protecting the business’s

If you don’t travel and the flight leaves then you lose your flight/accommodation money as it’s your decision not to travel.
Is it though, as the businesses will be losing money if nothing going on with furlough ending.

No-one wins or gains in my view, but I really don't understand why you would contemplate flying right now anyway.