Transgender Swimmer - should she be allowed to compete

Should she be allowed to compete

• Total voters
Yeah, ive been pondering this.

My conclusion is that I've made lots of decisions over my life that have adversely effected my sporting ability, all of which ive taken and accepted the consequences. I dont feel the decisions ive taken should allow me dispensation to compete at a national level. Things like getting married, having a job, going to university, eating pie and chips. All of which i valued more than my 400m pace. I dont think i should be permitted a berth into a national side that considers these choices as a basic right.

Clearly, changing your gender is a colossal, and no doubt incredibly difficult decision. In my view it must outway any sporting ambition. So i think its unreasonable for these athletes to expect their sporting careers to be unaffected. I am totally behind theyre rights to be included and compete in sport, but that competition must be on a level playing field, even if that is one skewed against you by your other life choices. It shouldnt be possible to skew things in your favour.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Yeah, ive been pondering this.

My conclusion is that I've made lots of decisions over my life that have adversely effected my sporting ability, all of which ive taken and accepted the consequences. I dont feel the decisions ive taken should allow me dispensation to compete at a national level. Things like getting married, having a job, going to university, eating pie and chips. All of which i valued more than my 400m pace. I dont think i should be permitted a berth into a national side that considers these choices as a basic right.

Clearly, changing your gender is a colossal, and no doubt incredibly difficult decision. In my view it must outway any sporting ambition. So i think its unreasonable for these athletes to expect their sporting careers to be unaffected. I am totally behind theyre rights to be included and compete in sport, but that competition must be on a level playing field, even if that is one skewed against you by your other life choices. It shouldnt be possible to skew things in your favour.
Agreed. I’ve no argument with their life choices or their right to compete in sport, but equally those still competing in sport in their birth gender are entitled to a level playing field as well. The pendulum seems to be swinging away from common sense in a desperate attempt to ensure that the wants and needs of the minority are placed ahead of the vast majority.

Listening to Jeremy Vine yesterday, India Willoughby tried to defend her right to compete against women by saying that Peter Crouch had an unfair advantage in the penalty area because he was so tall, but wasn’t banned or forced to play against people of the same height. If she feels that is a genuine argument I pity her.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
I feel trans persons should have their own single category, as I feel a man going trans will have inherent muscle strength and a woman going trans will likely be taking supplements to boost their muscle strength.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Agreed. I’ve no argument with their life choices or their right to compete in sport, but equally those still competing in sport in their birth gender are entitled to a level playing field as well. The pendulum seems to be swinging away from common sense in a desperate attempt to ensure that the wants and needs of the minority are placed ahead of the vast majority.

Listening to Jeremy Vine yesterday, India Willoughby tried to defend her right to compete against women by saying that Peter Crouch had an unfair advantage in the penalty area because he was so tall, but wasn’t banned or forced to play against people of the same height. If she feels that is a genuine argument I pity her.
This must go down it history as the stupidest comment ever made

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I think the chances of folk changing gender, purely motivated by potential earnings in womens' sport, is really, really low. Not impossible though... anyone aware of anyone competing who has transitioned in the opposite direction?

What we'll see played out soon is confirmation of who is higher up the Woke Rights Table: Women at Birth, or Women who were not female at birth.

Of course, I'm not qualified to say how I'd feel as a women if I was beaten a former bloke. So, I'm willing to be educated on this, but having made massive strides in the past decade, is Women's sport under threat? (Or is this a minor issue?)

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Simple

Only men have prostates. I now don't have one, I now want to win the ladies club championship at my place, I identify as a female as a result of my body changes 😁😁