Transgender Swimmer - should she be allowed to compete

Should she be allowed to compete

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
I doubt that he/she had their surgery just to get an advantage in swimming, but they have clearly gained an enormous advantage. BBC More or Less, which deals with stats and data in the news, did a recent episode and cited good data that shows a significant benefit is carried over in male to female transgender changes in strength and power sports.
This is the thing - I'm not an expert at all but it just seems so obvious that there would be advantages to having had a male skeleton and muscle density?? Where is the research on this? Is it proving inconclusive or are people scared to do the research in the first place for fear of being called transphobic? We need answers sooner rather than later as the issue is getting bigger all the time. I'm just surprised if nobody is out there trying to prove conclusively if it's fair or not, because otherwise we're just having the same conversation every time a trans boxer, weightlifter or swimmer turns up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
The graphic showed 462 in mens swimming Vs 1 in womans. Are these world numbers?

462nd in the world at anything puts you in the top 0.0001% (Or whatever the maths is), the point is, that's blooming good at what you do! He would have trained his balls off (quite literally in this case) to get there, maybe now it's win at all costs?

i think theyre us college numbers

GB72

Money List Winner
The point as far as I see it though is that the wider argument is not being based on sporting performance but rather on a person's right to compete as the gender that they define themselves as. Emotive argument but one that does not take into account any form of parity in the world of sport, in fact, those that have competed so far are being put forward as trailblazers for the cause of transgender rights. All well and good until the events that they compete in wither due to lack fo competition and interest.

This is a question with no correct answer. Everyone should have the right to live and compete as their chosen gender, no issue with that but then the current, born female athletes have a right to compete on a level playing field but is is victimising transgender athletes to put them in a separate category. As I said, no answer but it is one area that needs to be debated between interested parties and groups but it has to be clear that these debates are based on nothing other than performance advantage. The problem is that these debates cannot happen as, just as soon as someone puts across a vald point, the more militant members of groups look ot have the them cancelled for having a contrary opinion.

And Amirah Khan might regain a world championship.
Or Brianna Dechambeau in womens long drive.

I’m no biologist. But Men and Women are built differently. From skeletal down to eyesight perception. There’s a reason why a lady half will see the butter in the fridge and not you.

Absolute no from me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
This is the thing - I'm not an expert at all but it just seems so obvious that there would be advantages to having had a male skeleton and muscle density?? Where is the research on this? Is it proving inconclusive or are people scared to do the research in the first place for fear of being called transphobic? We need answers sooner rather than later as the issue is getting bigger all the time. I'm just surprised if nobody is out there trying to prove conclusively if it's fair or not, because otherwise we're just having the same conversation every time a trans boxer, weightlifter or swimmer turns up.
Listen to this podcast (9 minutes).

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
I think people should be careful about how they answer this question. Will leave you open to claims of transphobia, sexism, etc and lead to you being cancelled - just refer to JK Rowling:eek:
I’m another no and it is nothing to do with transphobia, sexism or anything else of that nature. It is simply unfair to born female athletes to have to compete against someone who clearly has a genetic advantage due to their birth gender.

If you choose to change gender then you should compete in the appropriate trans gender category against similar athletes.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Just to add that it’s a fine line that there are some sports where I don’t think that it matters if you are male, female or Trans.There would be no advantage where physical strength is an advantage.

phillarrow

No, for all the reasons already stated about biological advantages ... but I'll say one thing for you guys...
I've been on another forum that had this same discussion and it very quickly descended into homophobia/transphobia/anti-woke BS! It's really nice to see that this has provoked genuine, well-considered responses. 👍

Leftitshort

I’m not sure this is the place to get a contrary opinion. I’ll fully admit to not understanding all of the issues but if I had daughters I wouldn’t be happy about them competing vs a trans athlete. Especially in a contact sport

GB72

Money List Winner
I’m not sure this is the place to get a contrary opinion. I’ll fully admit to not understanding all of the issues but if I had daughters I wouldn’t be happy about them competing vs a trans athlete. Especially in a contact sport
This is a very valid point which is why I believe, and I could be wrong, trans athletes cannot play womens rugby

Dando

Q-School Graduate
wasn't there a dude MMA fighter who transitioned and unsurprisingly beat 2 shades of poo out of "his" opponents