Tour de France

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any Saudi money involved....?;):censored:
Pro cycling makes pro golf look like sweet little angels.
If the teams aren't sports washing, the performances of a decent proportion of the individuals are surprisingly good. Often it's both.
Having said that, if you take the time to get into it, the strategy and racecraft are compelling. This tdf has been fantastic so far.
One other thing I find hard to process is how much danger and damage are implicut in the spectacle. It feels uncomfortably like watching bull fighting sometimes.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I’m really enjoying it this year even though it does look like it’s already Pogacar’s to lose.

Amanda, umm, what about Ineos Grenadiers? Same team, four Brits, three of whom are in the top ten GC at the moment. Geraint Thomas is no weakling and worth cheering on. :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I’m really enjoying it this year even though it does look like it’s already Pogacar’s to lose.

Amanda, umm, what about Ineos Grenadiers? Same team, four Brits, three of whom are in the top ten GC at the moment. Geraint Thomas is no weakling and worth cheering on. :)

Agree, but he aint getting yellow :) I'll watch the mountain stages - never really like the sprint finishes. The rider who got caught yesterday - such a cruel sport!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree, but he aint getting yellow :) I'll watch the mountain stages - never really like the sprint finishes. The rider who got caught yesterday - such a cruel sport!

Very cruel but seemed a bad strategy to go too soon. If he’d waited another 100 metres then he might have held it. Then again could anyone have beaten Pogacar the way he finished?

Not watched all of Stage 8 yet. Tennis got in the way. :D

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very cruel but seemed a bad strategy to go too soon. If he’d waited another 100 metres then he might have held it. Then again could anyone have beaten Pogacar the way he finished?

Not watched all of Stage 8 yet. Tennis got in the way. :D

I doubt it. He suddenly looked like he was pedalling through treacle when the rise went to 24%...but then most would!

babylonsinger

Visit site
Pogacar simply a cut above everyone else. Covid aside the only chink in the armour appears to be other teams trying to isolate him as his team isn't the most experienced in controlling a big race but even that has looked pointless. Ineos simply spread too thinly to challenge properly for me (similar to Movistar when they tried to keep 3 riders in contention).

Top 2 appear set in stone already with 3rd the only podium spot up for grabs. G's TT expertise should give him the edge barring him cracking in the Alps or the Pyrenees

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm loving it this year, took me a few stages to really get into it, but i'm glued to it now! I hope Pidcock can keep up his impressive debut! he is one heck of a rider (of all things bike!!!)

Springveldt

Visit site
Pogacar simply a cut above everyone else. Covid aside the only chink in the armour appears to be other teams trying to isolate him as his team isn't the most experienced in controlling a big race but even that has looked pointless. Ineos simply spread too thinly to challenge properly for me (similar to Movistar when they tried to keep 3 riders in contention).

Top 2 appear set in stone already with 3rd the only podium spot up for grabs. G's TT expertise should give him the edge barring him cracking in the Alps or the Pyrenees
Pogacar doesn't really need a team tbh, he's that strong. He would just have to follow his closest rival. Only covid or an accident can stop him winning again.

He's so young as well in cycling terms, without any accidents I can see him going on to win the most ever by a comfortable margin.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Pogacar doesn't really need a team tbh, he's that strong. He would just have to follow his closest rival. Only covid or an accident can stop him winning again.

He's so young as well in cycling terms, without any accidents I can see him going on to win the most ever by a comfortable margin.

Agree with most most of that -still think he will need his team to control the high mountain stages to an extent. Majka was excellent in setting a tempo to discourage any attacks on La Plance des Belles Filles but a few of the others have appeared to be struggling (Hirschi as expected given he was a late replacement) and that will be the only hope the other teams will have for me. He did show on the cobbled stage that he has an excellent feel for which wheel to follow even when the team are struggling so its highly unlikely to work. Vingegaard distanced him late last year after wearing the team down and it may require teams joining forces to do the same for the remaining stages.

He could dominate big races for a number of years given his talents

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pogacar been amazing, fair play to Vingegaardd (sp?) for losing so little time to him, at least for now. Some brutal stages in the mountains to come

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been watching and enjoying
Pogacar street’s ahead and a cert barring a crash.
Ineos need to attack and probably sacrifice one or 2 who up up there on GC.
Massive mountain stages this year and a great spectacle awaits.
Got a mate on Alp d’huez and he says it’s buzzing and there not there till Thursday

RRidges

Visit site
I used to watch this religiously, bit since Lance Armstrong fiasco I haven't bothered.
TdF has always been suspect though so it's often been a case of best team including chemists that wins.
That said Pogacar has been impressive.