Top Golf

4LEX

Visit site
Anyone else a fan?! If so do you take your own clubs and let's hear your top scores....

Can't beat a few hours there, spot of crazy golf, a few pints and then trying to beat your PB. Great way to introduce people to golf who wouldn't dream of giving it ago otherwise!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I live on Watford so 15 mins from the Watford one. I think it's great. Have been with groups of mates, some who plays golf and some who don't. More recently I've just been with my wife as she only started playing last year and it's something fun to keep her practising over winter if we can't get on the course.

I think my best score is 189 ish. One of my best scores I just hit all 20 balls into the green target with a wedge, got loads of bonuses racked up, it was a tad boring though, haha. More fun to crack driver at the back targets - but they're much easier to miss as well. And since you ask yes I take my clubs, unless we were going there as part of a night out and then onto another pub, then I wouldn't obviously.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Used to go to the Watford one as well, with mates after work. That was a few years ago when it was not so busy. Always took our own clubs and usually played the snooker game. Can't remember top score though.

Too busy now in the evenings so don't bother, but love the concept and think it's great for getting non-golfers into the game.

Think the Watford one may be the original one and was started by two brothers who thought driving ranges were boring?

Think some of those who need complete silence should go there and hit shots while they announce the latest offers on Jaegerbombs!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to go to the Watford one as well, with mates after work. That was a few years ago when it was not so busy. Always took our own clubs and usually played the snooker game. Can't remember top score though.

Too busy now in the evenings so don't bother, but love the concept and think it's great for getting non-golfers into the game.

Think the Watford one may be the original one and was started by two brothers who thought driving ranges were boring?

Think some of those who need complete silence should go there and hit shots while they announce the latest offers on Jaegerbombs!!!
That's interesting, I thought most people just played the standard game. The snooker one seemed like a bit of a waste to me, since every other ball you just have to stab it into the nearest red target? Or does it not work like that?

I would definitely agree that it's responsible for getting a lot of people into golf. My best mate who I play with started off there before buying a cheap set and playing 9 holes with me. My wife would have first hit golf balls at TopGolf as well.

Tinkerman

Visit site
That's interesting, I thought most people just played the standard game. The snooker one seemed like a bit of a waste to me, since every other ball you just have to stab it into the nearest red target? Or does it not work like that?

I would definitely agree that it's responsible for getting a lot of people into golf. My best mate who I play with started off there before buying a cheap set and playing 9 holes with me. My wife would have first hit golf balls at TopGolf as well.
Yes, red, colour, red, colour, and so on then yellow, green, brown, etc. Works well when there are a mixture of skill levels in the group. We'd see who could make the best break as well as top score.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went to the one in Watford a couple of times when I was first starting. TBH it was quite good fun, went with my best mate and some other friends who dabbled with golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is very expensive way of practicing unless you use it regularly.

My son liked it and wanted to go when I visited. The trouble for me is that it required me to take out membership with virtually every visit.

He used to use the one at Chigwell.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

My son liked it and wanted to go when I visited. The trouble for me is that it required me to take out membership with virtually every visit.

To be fair, range prices are becoming more expensive as the thread we had about prices showed. Premium places like Top Golf and Silvermere (Toptracer and two tiers) are pricy but even my local range is about £8 with members discount for 100 balls

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I really don't think it's intended for serious golf practise. It's supposed to be a fun activity you do with someone or in a group.

I don't understand the membership comment either, once you've signed up you've done it. You just use your card from then on. Why would you buy multiple memberships for yourself?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really don't think it's intended for serious golf practise. It's supposed to be a fun activity you do with someone or in a group.

I don't understand the membership comment either, once you've signed up you've done it. You just use your card from then on. Why would you buy multiple memberships for yourself?

Yes I know it is not serious practice. Membership lasts one year and requires a renewal fee each year (or it used to). When I was only going once a year (family visit) it was pretty expensive.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, range prices are becoming more expensive as the thread we had about prices showed. Premium places like Top Golf and Silvermere (Toptracer and two tiers) are pricy but even my local range is about £8 with members discount for 100 balls

It was more the membership charge that I found irksome rather than the cost of a bucket of balls.

We have TopTracer and the cost for a member is £21 for a 20 credit range card each credit gives out 20 balls. I do not know the visitor rate as the web site is yet to be updated.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I know it is not serious practice. Membership lasts one year and requires a renewal fee each year (or it used to). When I was only going once a year (family visit) it was pretty expensive.
Don't remember that. We just went for the first time in 2 and a half years or so, we'd lost our membership cards but they just printed us new ones for nothing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely not somewhere I'd go to practice, even if it was the closest facility. I'd rather travel further to work quietly on my game. I definitely see the merit of a Topgolf facility and yes it is fun in a group but not a place I'd frequent often

4LEX

Visit site

Yeah I'd never dream of going to Top Golf to have a practice! It's like going to a nightclub to have a relaxing pint....

Top Tracer ranges are all over now and much better for serious practice. Although has anyone noticed the radar is back at picking up drives at night?

4LEX

Visit site

You should try Pine Ridge. Top Tracer and only £10 for 100 balls.